2002 175 evinrude ficht fuel problem

David DeLong

Recruit
I just bought a 2002 seaswirl striper with an evinrude 175 ficht motor on it. Motor has under a 100 hrs on it. Compression is good across the board. Boat had not been run in a couple yrs so I drained out about 50 gals of gas from the tank. I had new fuel and also installed a fuel filter/water separator. The motor has new plugs. It runs great at an idle to about 2500 rpm. after that it seems to be starving for fuel and it loses rpm. What should I look at before bringing it to a Marine Mechanic? I'm gonna check fuel pressure after this post at an idle. Thanks for any help you can add.

David DeLong

Recruit
Re: 2002 175 evinrude ficht fuel problem

I just bought a 2002 seaswirl striper with an evinrude 175 ficht motor on it. Motor has under a 100 hrs on it. Compression is good across the board. Boat had not been run in a couple yrs so I drained out about 50 gals of gas from the tank. I had new fuel and also installed a fuel filter/water separator. The motor has new plugs. It runs great at an idle to about 2500 rpm. after that it seems to be starving for fuel and it loses rpm. What should I look at before bringing it to a Marine Mechanic? I'm gonna check fuel pressure after this post at an idle. Thanks for any help you can add.

I have checked fuel pressure and at a Idle it's 28lbs as I rev it up to 4000 rpm she maintains 28 lbs and when I back off she goes to 32 lbs then back to 28 lbs at an idle. I still have to test it under a load. I also checked Vacuum and it is also good at an Idle and up to 4000 rpm. I will also recheck this under a load. When I sea trial it I will also use a portable tank to eliminate a vacuum issue in stock tank or lines. Just another thought even though Vacuum tests good. I also found another fuel filter/water separator under the airbox on motor that I had no clue was there and replaced that.It has new plugs also. Going to test sea trial it to complete the other test. Any other thoughts would be great. All I have left is injectors or ecm.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

This is going to be a dumb question. What happens if you pump the primer bulb when the prob occurs ??

David DeLong

Recruit

This is going to be a dumb question. What happens if you pump the primer bulb when the prob occurs ??
First to let tou know I replaced the primer bulb before i put it in. I tried pumping it under a load .seemed to run better a little if that but never corrected it or ran good enough to get up on plane.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hook it up to EVdiags and check the injectors for fuel flow. The boat has been sitting, injectors get gummed up. If you can't do that, take it to a shop that can. You can play with it all you want, but without being able to determine if the fuel injectors are working correctly you will be on a long long wild goose chase.

The fact that you have 28psi up to 4000 rpms tells me that the high pressure pump is being fed enough fuel to maintain pressure and probably not the cause of your problem.

If you really want to fly by the seat of your pants. Hold onto the back of the boat while someone else throttles it up to the problem rpm and then take off each spark plug lead, one at a time, and see if you can determine which cylinder is causing the problem. I guarantee ti is an injector.

David DeLong

Recruit

Hook it up to EVdiags and check the injectors for fuel flow. The boat has been sitting, injectors get gummed up. If you can't do that, take it to a shop that can. You can play with it all you want, but without being able to determine if the fuel injectors are working correctly you will be on a long long wild goose chase.

The fact that you have 28psi up to 4000 rpms tells me that the high pressure pump is being fed enough fuel to maintain pressure and probably not the cause of your problem.

If you really want to fly by the seat of your pants. Hold onto the back of the boat while someone else throttles it up to the problem rpm and then take off each spark plug lead, one at a time, and see if you can determine which cylinder is causing the problem. I guarantee ti is an injector.

I have hung on the back of the boat and removed each plug wire and it never changed. The problem doesn't happen all the time as I found out. I ran it all weekend no problem. Monday when I went out it happened again. I went back it got all the guages and when I got back out it ran fine again. I hooked up fuel pressure guager and ran it. I lost fuel pressure once by it was just a surge and picked it back up. When it runs good it is a dream. I'm leaning to the high pressure pump. gonna bring it to a dealer.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

That fuel pressure check may have given you the answer. I would check the vacuum on the fuel line feeding the system. Watch it for awhile at all speeds. It should never go more than 4 inches of mercury. You may have a restriction that is on again off again. The fuel pump should provide constant pressure with no loss of pressure.

David DeLong

Recruit

That fuel pressure check may have given you the answer. I would check the vacuum on the fuel line feeding the system. Watch it for awhile at all speeds. It should never go more than 4 inches of mercury. You may have a restriction that is on again off again. The fuel pump should provide constant pressure with no loss of pressure.

I did hook a vacuum guage each time I went out and it never went over 1 inch of vacuum. I checked it first with a portable tank and then with the inboard tank. Both times at the bulb. I also never lost prime on the bulb so I would think that would eliminate the lift pump. Weather not the best but I may take it out a little later.