Aq170a starting mystery

Jeff Wooster

Cadet
So i live in riverside ca and its generally hot and dry. I can easily start my boat after 2-3 key turns. However when im all ready to go fishing and drive to the beach to launch it wont start. 3 separete trips, no fishing,and trying to start it for hours with no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i don't want to go completely insane

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Aq170a starting mystery

What do you mean by it doesn't start? The engine turns but does not start, the engine does not turn. you hear a click but no turning? If we know what you mean by not starting it will better help us assist you.

Jeff Wooster

Cadet

yes sorry, it turns but wont start. could it be the spark plug wires? i believe they are the originals which would make them 37 years old

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It could be anything in the ignition system, it could also be fuel related, does it act like it's trying to start? Do you get any chugging or popping or anything to indicate that it's trying to fire up?

37 year old spark plug wires? You should fix that right away, inspect the distributor cap and rotor, also what about spark plugs, are they gapped properly, when did you last do a tune up?

Sounds like a full tune up is in order, at least you need to start there.

Is the engine getting flooded when you try to start it, can you smell fuel when you are attempting to start for hours as you say?

Jeff Wooster

Cadet

when im at home 3 turns of the ignition and it fires right up, at the beach it wont even give me a chug pop or cough to tell me its gonna start. and yep itll get flooded . the plug wires are 500 bux but a shop said they can make them for 250. think im gonna have them do that , the tune up as well as new plugs.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Set your timing with a timing light after you get the dwell set to specs. Then it will start in the water.

Jeff Wooster

Cadet

dang i really wish i knew what the heck you were talkin bout Don , u certainly know your stuff. i will make sure i relay that to the guys that will be doin the work , thx for all the info guys its very appreciated!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

dang i really wish i knew what the heck you were talkin bout Don , u certainly know your stuff. i will make sure i relay that to the guys that will be doin the work , thx for all the info guys its very appreciated!

If you have to explain to your mechanic what he should do, then you need to find a real marine mechanic.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Jeff, I'm right up the hill from you in Big Bear. :welcome:

When I first got my boat a couple of years ago I had the same type of issue. It had a couple of little leaks in the cooling system, didn't think of it as a big deal 'cause it was the fresh lake water just dribbeling a little bit. BUT it would get onto the belt and get thrown around the engine compartment. So, after starting up and driving up and down the lake no problem, I couldn't restart the motor. I was inspecting the ignition system to try and find something and when I pulled the distributor cap I found water.

I just wiped it dry with a towel, put it back together and it fired right up.

It sounds pretty obvious that your boat is a bit overdue for a tuneup, and that needs to get done, just throwing out other things to look for.

Is this aq170 a 75-76 volvo 3.0L6 motor? I see Bosch spark plug wire sets for $10...

look like this? Bosch 09021 http://www.rockauto.com/getimage/ge...=http://www.rockauto.com/info/Bosch/09021.jpg