Shift Rod Adjustment

Panfry

Recruit
I have a 1984 50 HP Evinrude that won't shift into reverse. After reading the postings here, I'm fairly sure my shift rod is out of adjustment, and I have also learned how to adjust the rod using a universal shift rod gauge. Problem is, the gauge is over $200.00 for a once in a lifetime use.
Question is, can I make the adjustment using a strait ruler that measures to 1/32, and if I can, from which points do I measure? Thanks for your time in advance.
Panfry

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Shift Rod Adjustment

Just unclip the shift cable and pull the shift rod and see if you get it into reverse to confirm thats the problem first.
Remember to turn the flywheel to get it to engage better
Ive never used a gauge.

Re: Shift Rod Adjustment

Question is, can I make the adjustment using a strait ruler that measures to 1/32, and if I can, from which points do I measure?

Just going by the engines I've had.... you measure the shift rod height from the surface that mates to the midsection up to the hole in the shift rod. Something like a carpenter's square should get you there. The deal is that you want to measure the vertical height and not have your ruler angled at all.