Sweet Buffer Bliss

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
I have used many o' buffer in my life .. so here is my List of buffer reviews :cool:

Makita 9227 was the 'goto' buffer and still is. Problem with them is it seems too weak and light. It bogs down when applying too much pressure and has a 'bouncing' problem with certain compounds. The 'soft start' is almost a joke when it comes to moving around the compound and/or polish before you actually use the tool. I would rather have a dedicated trigger for RPM then some electronic board that thinks. Bottom line is that the 9227 is a good tool for your average buffing and polishing.

Price = $199.00 average without bag and Misc. pads.

Dewalt DWP849 is another 'goto' buffer for the public DIY'er or Pro. This Big box buffer will do you fine with constant rubbing out. The rubber meets the road here. However the rubber grip on the head will probably Melt off in any serious use. This machine is a workhorse .. but it gets Real hot Fast. The balance on the tool is good. Its also Loud .. I mean loud. But with that said you should be using Muffs or Plugs for ear protection using any power tool.

Price = $199.00 average without any bag and Misc. pads.

There are other Buffers including the HF el'cheapo .. none that will satisfy the serious DIYer or pro. Some others that would be worthy of mention for quality include Hitatchi or Snap-On or even Mac. Not discounting Metabo or other Fine high end Names that are kinda out of the price range of our discussion.

Price Range = $40.00 to over $400.00 some come with a package.

Might I turn your attention to the Dynabrade 51580.

Dynabrade 51580 ( DYN-51580 ) is IMHO one of the Finest Buffers you can buy for under $300.00. It has a higher start speed of 1000 RPM. It offers direct control of RPM VIA the trigger switch on demand ( no slow start ). I have felt little to no Heat in the head housing as of yet even under demanding use. If your still reading .. the DYN51580 has a dynamic function of being able to Swivel the handle/trigger 90 deg. in one or the other direction. This may not seem to be of any importance .. but I have already used the function with greater control.

I would Imagine that this function will be available to the upcoming markets of other makes and models.

Price = $225-$300

I hope my long research will help those here on Iboats to discover High End tools that are available within your price range.

YD.

PS. Nobody has one of these in the buffing of boats biz .. yet .. ;)

Sticky ?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Sweet Buffer Bliss

Ayuh,.... I bought the big Dewalt a year or 2 ago, based on usin' a Bud's machine, 'n it was on sale,....

Haven't done any buffin' with it yet, but it's a 'ell of a sander.... ;)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Sweet Buffer Bliss

I have used many o' buffer in my life .. so here is my List of buffer reviews :cool:

Makita 9227 was the 'goto' buffer and still is. Problem with them is it seems too weak and light. It bogs down when applying too much pressure and has a 'bouncing' problem with certain compounds. The 'soft start' is almost a joke when it comes to moving around the compound and/or polish before you actually use the tool. I would rather have a dedicated trigger for RPM then some electronic board that thinks. Bottom line is that the 9227 is a good tool for your average buffing and polishing.

Price = $199.00 average without bag and Misc. pads.

Dewalt DWP849 is another 'goto' buffer for the public DIY'er or Pro. This Big box buffer will do you fine with constant rubbing out. The rubber meets the road here. However the rubber grip on the head will probably Melt off in any serious use. This machine is a workhorse .. but it gets Real hot Fast. The balance on the tool is good. Its also Loud .. I mean loud. But with that said you should be using Muffs or Plugs for ear protection using any power tool.

Price = $199.00 average without any bag and Misc. pads.

There are other Buffers including the HF el'cheapo .. none that will satisfy the serious DIYer or pro. Some others that would be worthy of mention for quality include Hitatchi or Snap-On or even Mac. Not discounting Metabo or other Fine high end Names that are kinda out of the price range of our discussion.

Price Range = $40.00 to over $400.00 some come with a package.

Might I turn your attention to the Dynabrade 51580.

Dynabrade 51580 ( DYN-51580 ) is IMHO one of the Finest Buffers you can buy for under $300.00. It has a higher start speed of 1000 RPM. It offers direct control of RPM VIA the trigger switch on demand ( no slow start ). I have felt little to no Heat in the head housing as of yet even under demanding use. If your still reading .. the DYN51580 has a dynamic function of being able to Swivel the handle/trigger 90 deg. in one or the other direction. This may not seem to be of any importance .. but I have already used the function with greater control.

I would Imagine that this function will be available to the upcoming markets of other makes and models.

Price = $225-$300

I hope my long research will help those here on Iboats to discover High End tools that are available within your price range.

YD.

PS. Nobody has one of these in the buffing of boats biz .. yet .. ;)

Sticky ?

Meh, that's just words... show us what they can do.

We want before and after pics!

It's just another boat tool story without pics.