Over tightened leg dipstick on a 2004 Volvo Sx leg

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello All,
I managed to overtighten and rip the threads out of the top of the housing of the leg using the leg dipstick.

Could someone please post a schematic or part number for the top housing. I removed the housing, but I am not sure if I can order just this piece. A new dipstick and a flush and change of the leg oil would also be in order? I pulled out some threads, but I am it sure how much damage the rest of the threads will do on their way to the magnets.

2004 Volvo gi-e sx-?

Cheers!

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Over tightened leg dipstick on a 2004 Volvo Sx leg

3842916 21136720
Are either of these correct?
Dipstick 3888544?
Thanks!

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When you pull the "upper gearcase bearing cover" there will be a number stamped inside- mine was 3852291. I bought a new one on ebay for $185 - they are not cheap. You'll need the pages from the owner's manual for the reinstall as there are shims you need to add as well as the proper torque for the bolts. My drive is a '99 SX-M, not sure what you have so I can't elaborate on the exact steps.
There are five different thicknesses for shims plus the gasket - I'd order one gasket and a combination of shims. Remember the part numbers for the shims because when they arrive there is no stamp on the shims to identify the thickness - you'll need the part number and packaging as a reference. You start with .004 of shims and then take a measurement with your shim gauge (found at auto parts stores). After a bit of simple math, you'll figure out how many shims you need to install with your new cover. You can't just replace the same shims because the new cover might be machined differently than what you have.
See this thread for more info......

Regarding the oil change, never a bad idea but it all depends on how many shavings made their way down inside the gearcase. I used a light vacuum to suck up all the shavings when it happened to me.

cashworth

Cadet

Hi This happened to me a couple of years ago and I simply had a new thread re-cut in the cover by an engineer I know. Cost me a drink but I am now worried about the shimming procedure.

Cashworth

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks! I was hoping that it would be a simple swap, but nothings ever easy with a stern drive! I'll check the housing and the manual and see if I am completely out of my league here.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It seems daunting at first, but after you read it a couple times its not a big deal. Just be sure you know what thickness shims you are using because you have to start with a known height. You can't just use the existing shims because there is no way to tell what you had in there, hence keeping a close eye on the packaging. When you remove a shim from the packaging, take a sharpie and wright on the shim what thickness it is.

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks augoose. I love Iboats! I can handle this.

I checked the drive and its an sx-m, the upper gear case housing is part number 3852291, so the link augoose provided is perfect. DonS has come through for me a few times as well and his insert from the other post is much better than my seloc manual.

Wish me luck!

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does anyone know if 3852291 casting number corresponds to part number 3854401? I cannot find anywhere to order the former part number.
Also the part numbers for the shims are not on the diagrams I have seen, any idea what those are?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You need to figure out your drive ratio - look on the stamping on the left side of the drive. Then go to this link.....
Volvo Penta Engine Part Catalog - Volvo Penta

Here is the one for the 1.51 drive..... item number 5- 4 different sizes. The shims are probably all the same for the different gear ratios.
Upper Vertical Shaft SX-M 1.43, SX-M 1.51, SX-M 1.60, SX-M 1.66, SX-MTD 1.66, SX-MTD3 1.66 - 7746020 - Volvo Penta

Regarding the cover, I sent an email to the guy I got mine from - if he responds I'll let you know. Also trying searching the web for "upper gearcase bearing cover" and then match the numbers. I'm not sure if the other one you posted is compatible or not.

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Augoose. Could u pls post a image as I am in Canada and cannot access the Volvo Online Parts store. I have been using marinepartseurope.com but I am not sure how updated the site is.
My drive is the same 1.51 ratio on the sx-m

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There's my problem, I was looking at the upper gear housing, instead of the upper vertical shaft... Thanks for all your help.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks! I was hoping that it would be a simple swap, but nothings ever easy with a stern drive! I'll check the housing and the manual and see if I am completely out of my league here.

You never know, you might get lucky and your existing shims will be all you need. I replaced my top cover and got lucky like that. Manufacturing process has some error so make sure you do check your clearance like everyone else said.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Item 2 (Highlighted) are the shims for the top cover, and shows the proper part numbers on the second page.

View attachment 193705

Thanks Don- I looked too quickly and item #2 is correct...
3852368 is .002
3852370 is .004
3852371 is .005
3852372 is .010

You will also need 3852317 which is the gasket.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Would it not make sense to just remove the top cover and take it to a mechanic who can drill out and re-tap the cover with a next size up blank plug into which he can mount the original dip stick. If the blank plug has a flange then fit a fibre washer instead of the "O" ring seal. Then re-assemble as before with everything in the same place? Thus eliminating the need to re-shim and the cost of a new cover. If it was OK before and you put it back as before it should still be OK. Perhaps buy or borrow a torque wrench before you re-assemble it all.

Last edited:

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Would it not make sense to just remove the top cover and take it to a mechanic who can drill out and re-tap the cover with a next size up blank plug into which he can mount the original dip stick. If the blank plug has a flange then fit a fibre washer instead of the "O" ring seal. Then re-assemble as before with everything in the same place? Thus eliminating the need to re-shim and the cost of a new cover. If it was OK before and you put it back as before it should still be OK. Perhaps buy or borrow a torque wrench before you re-assemble it all.
I like the idea but mechanics around here aren't cheap, it could take a while and water in the leg could be a disaster. I need the boat for this weekend. Fortunately the parts arrived today, so I should be set for this weekend.. My backup plan was to jb weld the dipstick in, although that would destroy the $100 dipstick too!
I used a 3/8 click torque wrench on the lowest setting. Still too much. I now know it only requires 50 inch lbs. (6 Nm)!

Shark_bait99

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Installed & water tested! Thanks again for everyone's help!