Do I need a fuel/watter seperator?

ASI Imperial

Seaman
Hello, was wondering if i need a fuel/water seperator with an aluminum tank? If so Why? cant find any info??? Thanks!!!

sinkunit0

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Do I need a fuel/watter seperator?

yes with metal tanks you can get a lot of condesation . you can get a combined water trap and fual filter

Dunaruna

Admiral

ASI, its not just a question of condensation, heaps of contaminated fuel out there. A fuel/water seperator might just give you a little extra piece of mind, especially if you run a fuel injected motor.<br /><br />A good quality unit gives better 'filtering' and a see through water bowl (for viewing), also spin on cartridges for ease of replacement.<br /><br />Its worth noting that no fuel/water seperator will cope with a high dose of water, 1 litre at most depending on the size of the holding bowl.<br /><br />Aldo

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I change the seps on my boats about once a month and always keep the tank topped off when the boats going to sit for a while.. <br /><br />Recently I had big problems with the insides of my seperator rusting in a very short period of time... I don't mean a little rust either... The metal top of the spin on sep/filter looked like a science experiment gone wrong... Cut the sep/filter apart and found rust on both sides of the filter element.. Fuel injectors, regulator, the fuel rails, lines, all full of rust particles... (plastic fuel tank)<br /><br />I removed the entire filter assembly, cleaned it very well, put it back in the boat, and installed a new seperator/filter... Did all the other repairs to the fuel system as well... Ran the boat on the hose, everything now ok except the $wallet$..<br /><br /> Three days after the repairs, just for kicks, i pulled the sep/filter off to see if i had any water in the fuel... Well, as i suspected, there was some water in the fuel, and the brand new three day old sep/filter was rusting badly...<br /><br />That seperator/filter deal is gone now, replaced by a cheap plastic filter (temporary untill i find something better)...<br /><br />My opinion... A plain old particle type filter is best... A little water in the fuel will burn off.. And with the possibility of rust being able to form in the seperator, it's just not worth the risk to have one...

ASI Imperial

Seaman

Thanks That makes alot of sense!!! Its my wallet that is thining with this project and the more i can save the better!!!

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Hello, If you do decide to go the route of the seperator/filter just remember this. If you are installing on an outboard you can use one with a metal bowl or a plastic bowl. If you are installing on an I/O you MUST use one with a metal bowl. This is required for your safety and to keep USCG requirements in effect. Good luck in whatever you decide to do! ;)

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

snapper- What brand of spin-on were you using? I want to avoid that brand. Many of the name brands use a corrosion resistant coating to prevent your problem, but there are quite a few made in Taiwan/China that are bare steel inside.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Wix pt# 33225...<br /><br />Wix Filtration Products, Gastonia, NC.. Made in USA..<br /><br />The can is coated inside, the rest of the internals and the mounting surface are not...<br /><br />I'd be willing to bet that Wix/Dana makes these spin-on's for many other companies...