1965 5hp Evinrude Angler Over heating?

abreen89

Cadet
Hello,
I am new to outboards and to this forum. I recently purchased a short shaft 1965 5hp evinrude angler. I brought it home and started it up in a tank and she ran very good but got pretty warm after a while. I decided to replace the impeller and clean up the water pump aswell as inspect the lower unit gears. After i got my parts i replace the impeller some gaskets and cleaned it up really nice. I then put it all back together. I spun the drive shaft clockwise as i screwed down the water pump housing as instructed by manual. I put everything else back together and slid the drive shaft up the lower unit aligning the water hose and everything. I bolted her down to spec and filled the lower unit with oil. Now after about a 5 minute tank test idling and some short higher revs she started getting really warm and when i lifted the housing smoke or steam starting coming out so immediately turned her off. Questions: do the exhausts holes need to be completely submerged for it to keep cool? why am i overheating?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 5hp Evinrude Angler Over heating?

Was it pumping water? Was the gearcase submerged down deep enough, about 2 inches below the exhaust relief where the exhaust and spent cooling water come out?

abreen89

Cadet

Was it pumping water? Was the gearcase submerged down deep enough, about 2 inches below the exhaust relief where the exhaust and spent cooling water come out?

How can you tell if its pumping water? It Does not have a "pee" Hole. The water was right up to to the bottom exhaust holes. there was water spraying out of the exhaust.

Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The exhaust holes spray is the "pee" indicator. If water is spraying out of them, at least you know the pump is working. But that doesn't mean it is cooling.

For what it's worth, that is a detuned 6hp powerhead. There are two coolant paths through it. As used on the 6hp, the system included a thermostat. Water always flowed through one path, regardless of the thermostat position. When the 'stat opened, water flowed through BOTH paths. In the 5hp version, without a thermostat, water always flowed through both paths. I said all that to suggest that possibly one of the paths is plugged up (??)

abreen89

Cadet

The exhaust holes spray is the "pee" indicator. If water is spraying out of them, at least you know the pump is working. But that doesn't mean it is cooling.

For what it's worth, that is a detuned 6hp powerhead. There are two coolant paths through it. As used on the 6hp, the system included a thermostat. Water always flowed through one path, regardless of the thermostat position. When the 'stat opened, water flowed through BOTH paths. In the 5hp version, without a thermostat, water always flowed through both paths. I said all that to suggest that possibly one of the paths is plugged up (??)

okay so should i pull the head and inspect? ive never had an outboard before so any pointers would be great!
Thanks

johnevin24

Cadet

Hi, you should take out the thermostat (its on top of the motor and theres a plate with 3 screws) remove the 3 screws and remove thermostat. look to see if the passages are all gunked up. leavethe thermostat out and put the cover plate back on, then start the motor and see if its pumping more water. the thermostats get rusted and gunk up and they need to be replaced. you can run the motor without the thermostat or you can buy a new one. give that a try nd let me know if it helps. and yes he water should be spitting out of the exhaust hole.

johnevin24

Cadet

I thought it was a 6 hp. ok, theres no thermostat but theres still a plate ON TOP OF THE HEAD, remove that plate and see if the passages are clear and if not try to clean them the best you can then put plate back on and see if its any better.

abreen89

Cadet

I thought it was a 6 hp. ok, theres no thermostat but theres still a plate ON TOP OF THE HEAD, remove that plate and see if the passages are clear and if not try to clean them the best you can then put plate back on and see if its any better.

Okay i did what you recomended it had a layer of white inside but nothing was glogged. I cleaned it anyway with WD40 a rag and blew it out with my air compressor. I put it back together and put it back to the tank. When i start it water sprays out of the exhaust but the engine heated up to 200 degrees within 5minutes so i immediately **** it off. I did notice the gasket for the thermostat area had a small leak. so as soon as i turned it off i opened it up and it was bone dry. Is it possible for water to exit the exhaust and not go through the cylinder? Where should i go from here?
Thanks!

johnevin24

Cadet

If theres no water getting to the head then thats a major problem as you will certainly cook the motor. How did you know theres a small leak in the cover? was there water coming out? if you seen water leaking but then was dry thats because the head got so hot that it dried the moisture up immediatly. I would take off the cover again and take a hose WITH A NOZZLE on it and spray strait down in the hole and it might push out anything in there. also you can try to spray water into the exhaust hole and see where the water comes out. are you POSITIVE when you put the lower unit back on that you didnt brake the little rubber gasket/seal that the water tube goes into? and are you sure the tube went in correctly as its very easy to miss the hole. the cooling system on those motors are very simple. let me know.

abreen89

Cadet

okay ill try the hose if that doesnt free it up ill take the bottom end off and take a look. I replaced the rubber grommet to the water pump so that shouldnt be the broblem but not sure. I did take the power head off aand the water tube to flush it out and i put it back on the power head by just slipping the little plastic spacer over the the cut out i think that all i had to do right?

johnevin24

Cadet

yes, But its very IMPORTANT that the water tube is far enough in the water pump and that the rubber seal IS NOT twisted.

johnevin24

Cadet

also make sure the new gasket on the waterpump seal is tight.

abreen89

Cadet

also make sure the new gasket on the waterpump seal is tight.

Okay i flushed it out with the hose but that did not fix the problem so i took the lower unit off. The rubber Gromet the hose goes into was twisted and pushed down into the water pump housing so i replaced that and lubed it up so the hose would slide easier. Once i reassembled the little tear on the gasket on the thermostat housing now squirts alot of water and i ran it for 10 minutes and it was still cool to the touch so looks like its good to go! question what gasket on the water pump seal are you talking about. Here is a link to the parts schematic if you could give me a number just so its clear: Evinrude Gearcase Group Parts for 1965 5hp 5502 Outboard Motor

johnevin24

Cadet

Hi, on many water pumps theres a gasket/seal that goes between the pump housing and the plate. In your case it would be #20. Glad I was able to help you out and get the ole girl pumping again. Good luck and happy boating,

abreen89

Cadet

Hi, on many water pumps theres a gasket/seal that goes between the pump housing and the plate. In your case it would be #20. Glad I was able to help you out and get the ole girl pumping again. Good luck and happy boating,

Yea thanks! I bought that seal when i was doing the impeller but i couldnt get the old one out and the old one didnt seem to be in too bad of shape. But there where a few water drops that were seperated in the oil upon draining. How do you get that seal out do you have to press it out or? seeing where the seal is i dont think i could get a press on it.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

The seal you are referring to is the driveshaft oil seal and it's a ***** to get out.The usual way is to pry it out any way you can without damaging the housing round it.Every time I've done it it's come down to brute force and ignorance but maybe one of the more knowledgeable members has a better and easier way.When you press the new one in I think it's usual to use some Scotchseal 847 on the housing.Good luck.
Geoffwga1