Water in bilge after day on lake?

beanz2166

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After a day (5 hours) of swimming and tubing etc, do you have any water in you bilge? If so about how much? I had about a gallon that drained out today when I pulled the plug. Should I be concerned?

Re: Water in bilge after day on lake?

With all those wet bodies dripping in the boat after they climb aboard, yes, you're going to pick up some water.

C.O.L.

Seaman Apprentice

Nothing to be concerned about. That is completely normal

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Take it out on the lake with no swimming or water sports, if you have water then you may want to check for leaks.

tpenfield

Staff member

Sort of depends on what you are doing and how your boat drains. Also, sometimes water gets trapped in forward compartments of the boat and then drains aft as the boat is tilted up getting on plane, etc.

As mentioned, check for leaks, 'cuz those are what you want to address. Other sources of water are not as troublesome.

I always had water in the bilge on my 'old' boat, because that is where things drained into. The 'new' boat drains overboard, so we shall see. But having wooden boats as a kid, there was always water in the boat. So, I did not think too much of it with a fiberglass boat, as long as you know where the water comes from and that it is not an active leak.