2003 f-150 issues

82rude

Rear Admiral
4x4 .2003 f150 supercab.the old girl is driving me batty.when i turn the steering to the right im getting what sounds like a grinding noise.i cant pinpoint it but it sounds like out of the front end.one hub was changed about 10,000 kms ago but for the life of me i cant remember which one.jacked up off the ground nothing seems loose .turn tires no noise ,grab and twist no movement .any suggestions or thoughts.i hate it when i cant find anything and its driving me to distraction.would a hub just starting to go act like that?the hub that was replaced just went last winter and i actually thought i had a rock in the front brake rotor.bad grinding right away but this is not quite the same or im just going nuts.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2003 f-150 issues

Check the front right U joint. Had that happen to a Grand Wagoneer and it was a failing U joint.

82rude

Rear Admiral

ok i will look JB .short of tying a skinny guy under the front end im getting a little ticked off .

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rude,

Is the noise at hwy speed or lower around town speed or all the time?

Does the truck have stock wheels and tires?

If it is at low speed( like in a parking lot), go to an empty lot, turn the truck till it starts making the noise, stop the truck, don't move the steering wheel or anything, just stop. Get under the front and check for wheel or any other contact with the suspension or steering components.

As far as the U-joints are concerned, you don't have them in the frontend. Your truck runs CV shafts, but check the boots and make sure they don't have any holes or tears in them. I've never heard a CV shaft grind, all the bad ones I've heard sound like someone is clicking a ballpoint pen in the front of my trucks. That is only when it is in 4wd.

Good luck with the truck, I know chasing noises can drive you bat poop crazy. LOL.

rogerwa

Commander

If turning to the right, you would normally suspect the left bearing hub. if you replaced that one with the lesser priced hub, it may have gone bad again. The chinese bearings, from what I have read, do not last. Grinding is normally associated with bearing but hard to say without hearing..

82rude

Rear Admiral

right front stabilizer link was broken.replaced both,noise is still there but 75 percent less.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Check the plastic fender well lining. One of those plastic push in connectors on my Expedition wont stay in so it hangs down a bit and the wheel sometimes rubs against it on tight turns. It makes a pretty nasty sound that could be described as grinding.

82rude

Rear Admiral

just an update on the issues I had with the truck.the grinding and other issues were coming from the rear and translating all the way up the truck.put in a tube of crc oil modifier and presto the noise has since gone away.apparently sometimes the rear end limitedslip pacs can get sticky and my issue was the result of it not functuning properly.

robert graham

Admiral

Yep, sounds about right!...my old Buick tow vehicle has that limited slip/posi-traction rear end in it and I get that fluid changed about every 30,000 miles and they always add about 6 ounces of some special "friction modifier" to help lubricate those clutches in there!....

82rude

Rear Admiral

nope ,had it checked out already,nothing wrong with the rearend now atall.