no fuel

jbabcock

Seaman
Hi all,
I have a 70-80's johnson 15 and it seems I'm not getting fuel when i prime her she runs then after 10 min does if i keep pumping the ball she keeps running I changed the fuel to carb line with a clear line and it seems to me that I'm not seeing any fuel pumping into this line the fuel pump looks fairly new but is not pumping could this be a bad pump or yet again another carb symptom of something not opening right?

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: no fuel

If you have to keep pumping the primer bulb to keep running and you can't see any fuel thru clear line then you have a bad fuel pump and time to rebuild or replace. Your vent on the tank is open isn't it?

rothfm

Ensign

So many of these also can be bad portable tanks, fuel lines, primer bulgs and actual connectors. Try to see if its sucking air somewhere related first......and yep, check that vent for open.

bsmithbum

Seaman Apprentice

Not that It matters since it has been said 2 times already lol, but Yes make sure the vent is open and defiantly check the tank to engine connector hose for any air leaks. I have seen that 100 times where the connectors are not sealing right or the connection of the hose right at the ball is leaking, and your issue is the result.

jbabcock

Seaman

yes the vent was open and all connections are tight this tank works with my 40 hp johnson so I'm just guessing the fuel pump isn"t having such a great time thank you for all your feeds .

James

chelseamad7

Cadet

Hi all,
I have a 70-80's johnson 15 and it seems I'm not getting fuel when i prime her she runs then after 10 min does if i keep pumping the ball she keeps running I changed the fuel to carb line with a clear line and it seems to me that I'm not seeing any fuel pumping into this line the fuel pump looks fairly new but is not pumping could this be a bad pump or yet again another carb symptom of something not opening right?

pull your plugs and ground them,then take your fuel line off from the carb so fuel still goes through the fuel pump.Try pull start or electric start,take notice of the fuel coming out it should pump strong and consistant.If not then pump needs looking at.Hpoe this helps.