1986 Bayliner Capri bowrider 19ft AQ125B 270 outdrive hit a piling on Columbia...

sbabbs

Recruit
I bought this boat last year. 450 hours on the motor meter. I replace the driveshaft bellows as they where cracked before I took it out as the guy I bought it from said it needed done as his mechanic told him so when he put it away for the winter. I took it out on the columbia about 4 times last summer. It ran great, everything worked fine except for when I would go to raise the outdrive the lock wouldn't unlock unless I'd reach down there and pull it with my hand.. Besides that what happened was I let the land lord drive it and he drove between a channel marker and the shore and hit a wood piling. After that above 3k it would vibrate some and there was some grinding noise. Local dealer says bent vertical shaft in the outdrive perhaps. I can turn the prop and hear the bearing in the outdrive making noise. I bought a another complete 270 outdrive from a 4 cylinder. 400 hours on it. I spin the prop on the replacement drive and no noise. My question is should I take the outdrive apart that is on there or just swap out the whole thing? Is is possible to just swap out he lower unit without taking anything else off like the tranny? Or do I have to take the tranny off first like doing the driveshaft bellows? What would be the easiest to do? I have a seloc manual for it. I got the boat pulled in front of the shop and am ready to start working on it. The outdrive on the boat has the two hat bolts, the outdrive I bought has one. Any advice would be great. My first boat but I'm a volvo nut who has 4 4cylinder volvo redblock cars and do all the mechanicals on those.

Thanks,

Simon

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1986 Bayliner Capri bowrider 19ft AQ125B 270 outdrive hit a piling on Columbia...

I'd swap the whole drive.

Swapping gears and parts means you need to do a whole lot of accurate shimming for the gears and that's going to be a major pain. The new drive should already be shimmed and ready to go.

I hear the two bolt helmet nut is better though.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1986 Bayliner Capri bowrider 19ft AQ125B 270 outdrive hit a piling on Columbia...

I agree, swap the drive or the lower. Can pick those drives up for practically nothing.

sbabbs

Recruit

Okay I swapped the whole outdrive and the single bolt hat and it works great. No vibrations or noise. I took it out and went all the way around Sauvie's Island. Took about 2 hours. 35mph was top speed with the 15x17 aluminum prop that came on the outdrive I just put on. Once we got back we put the 15x19 stainless steel prop back on. THis new outdrive has those hydrofoil deals on there. Should I leave those or ditch them. Here a vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr4AbsAc2tU&feature=em-upload_owner

Simon