briggs and stratton pulls hard

kepe63

Recruit
My 5HP outboard won't start. I stored it properly. (up right) Pulls real hard. Pulled spark plug, then turns over fine. End up messing up rewinder from trying to pull it so hard. Fixe that, and it breaks again. P.S. Did put drop of oil and cylinder. Any suggestions?

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Re: briggs and stratton pulls hard

I'm not familiar with the Briggs & S but I believe it's a four cycle. You may be experiencing 'hydraulic lock' caused by a volume of oil in the cylinder. I have a 4 cycle edger (not an outboard brand - used to edge my lawn) that I have to take the plug out of and pull the cord a few times to expel the oil. I'm not sure where it comes from but probably some seal leak. After that I'm good to go even though it starts up in a cloud of burned oil. Should also show up as a lot of oil on the sparkplug. I'm not an expert but it sounds a lot like my motor.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I'd want to know what's stiff, engine, or lower unit. Four strokes don't tend to like being laid down, because the oil wanders around and collects where it shouldn't.

kepe63

Recruit

Got the engine to start after replacing rewind and pull starting it w/o spark plug for awhile ,then inserting plug. Now the motor won't go into neutral. Drained lower unit oil and replacing oil later today. Any other suggestions. I made sure throttle was set right so I could shift
Yeah, I'd want to know what's stiff, engine, or lower unit. Four strokes don't tend to like being laid down, because the oil wanders around and collects where it shouldn't.