Short shaft conversion to long shaft

Tgoody

Recruit
I'm in need of a kit or parts to covert my 18 hp evinrude fast win from a short shaft to a long shaft can anyone help me. its a 1972 evinrude 18202r thanks ......Tgoody

Last edited by a moderator:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Short shaft conversion to long shaft

Hi, Tgoody.

Welcome to iboats. :welcome:

Try the outboard salvage yards listed in the "Top Secret File" at the top of this forum.

Please review our rules regarding soliciting private transactions. Thanks for your cooperation. :)

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I doubt that anyone makes a kit for that older engine, but check out this website: baymfg.com/

scipper77

Commander

Oh the irony. I have a 9.5 long shaft and I need a short shaft. I plan on selling the long shaft and buying the short with the money from the sale. This will no doubt bite me in the but as I am in the process of doing carb, coils, head gasket, fuel lines.... I doubt the new motor will be so fully updated.

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am almost finished with the same project on my '58 10hp sportwin. I found a long shaft lower unit with all the parts I needed on ebay. Cost me $200, but the guy has been very helpful. My motor is in great shape, so it was worth it to me vs buying another used long shaft. Basically it is just like changing your impeller... Take your lower unit off, and put the long one back on. Done! (If only things were that simple in real life;) Good luck!

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also came to realize that you could use your lower unit if you were to find the long drive shaft, long shift rod coupler, and housing extension. A long water tube isn't that hard to fabricate, or extend the one you have. Seriously, check ebay for your parts. Or the salvage yards JB mentioned.

Tgoody

Recruit

I also came to realize that you could use your lower unit if you were to find the long drive shaft, long shift rod coupler, and housing extension. A long water tube isn't that hard to fabricate, or extend the one you have. Seriously, check ebay for your parts. Or the salvage yards JB mentioned.

Thanks for the feed back
I'll try to find the parts on ebay

Tgoody

Recruit

Thanks for all the replies ill search on eBay.....

scipper77

Commander

I can't speak for your 18 bit my '72 9.5 is not quite as easy as say a late 50's early 60's model to convert. Appearntly the water tube is a pain to change oveinvolves removing the powerhead which is much more difficult on these moters than the earlier motors. Not trying to dissuade you, just want to be sure you know what you are getting yourself into.