89 140 Johnson running terrible NEED HELP PLEASE!

Jquales21

Cadet
Just bought 95 procraft with a 1989 140 Johnson the boat had not really ran for a year when I bought it! I had the carbs cleaned and reset! The motor had a lot oil and gas build up on the motor! So I have disconnected the vro and have started premixing my gas to try and get the black sludge that was coming out to stop! It has stop back I'm not getting fany idle and it wants to cut it self back at around quarter to half throttle! But when I really get into it it runs really good but I hear a lot ?f popping! Then when I release the throttle it starts to die again and I have to build it back up and it's starts problem over again! What should I try or do! Don't have the money to take it to get work on and I really want to get my kids on the water! Thanks for any help!

John michael!

71Windsor

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 89 140 Johnson running terrible NEED HELP PLEASE!

popping usually indicates a timing issue. id start there. get a timing light and verify your timing is right. the timing base could also be at fault here as well.

Jquales21

Cadet
Re: 89 140 Johnson running terrible NEED HELP PLEASE!

popping usually indicates a timing issue. id start there. get a timing light and verify your timing is right. the timing base could also be at fault here as well.[/QUOT

Thank u I will try this