5.5 Ted Williams

N2outboards

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Bought at a yard sale recently and got it to pop and run but hesitantly, noticed fuel leaking from that pintle valve as well as around the float bowl of the underside of the bowl and maybe in need of a valve seat kit. Model number i come up with is a -59431 as far as i can make it. Engine tag numbers 643-14A, and Tag# 6743873,,How can i get a carb kit and or a float bowl kit (needle valve seat) for this particular outboard. Than You

_N2Outboards.

Attachments

• TedWilliams1.jpg
    TedWilliams1.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 1
  • TedWilliams2.jpg
    TedWilliams2.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 1

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 5.5 Ted Williams

That may (or may not) be a West Bend (Chrysler) powerhead. If you really are interested in making it go, check on the Chrysler forum to see if anyone there can help you match up the "Sears" brand with the real manufacturer. Also, Sears may have some parts availability, but you may need to sort through a lot of microfiche-type parts diagrams to ID the motor.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

It's a Sears labeled Eska. The Sears model number is 217.59431, the Tecumseh engine number is 643-14A. Get part numbers here;

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...247/1305320?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=21759431

Do NOT order parts from those boneheads, they'll just screw ya stupid on shippingand get'em from the same place you can;

VinParts

Call them with part numbers, they'll hoo you up with OEM parts. Another OEM parts source is these guys;

Results for ESKA - Sears / Ted Wms

You should replace the impeller, to, and you ain't gonna like the $27, but it's better than cookin' off the lower crank seal and killin' the motor. Most other stuff is cheap, and nobody makes a lighter 5.5 hp. The points and condenser are pretty generic, and Napa auto was a dealer of Tecumseh stuff before tec went tits up, so you may find that stuff there.

When you install the fuel pump element, be sure the slot ends are at 2 and 8 o'clock.

Click this link and go down about halfway down the page.

http://www.boatsportandtackle.com/servlet/the-1763/carburetor-kit-eska-631021/Detail

The minor carb kit is part # 631021B it has your inlet valve needle and seat.... make sure to get the old seat all out and make sure to get the new seat all the way down in the passage or the float won't work properly.

Also check the flapper valve and fuel pump before ordering your kit. If you need either of those they are available seperately, if you need them both you'll need the full kit, part# 631021C.

good luck.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think those are good numbers for this model. I got the ugly feelin' that this motor uses a non-removeable brass seat a viton tripped needle.

http://forums.iboats.com/other-outboard-brands/5-5-ted-williams-603445.html

Looks like the part number for the needle and spring is 631505. Good luck finding that needle. I ended up having to splice a weedeater's rubber tipped needle onto the original aluminum Tecumseh needle, but only after taking the long way around to find out that the wrong stuff was in it when my neighbor bought it.