Fuel pump arm stiffness

bucknutjoe

Seaman
How difficult should it be to manually operate the mechanical arm of a carter low volume fuel pump that it removed from block?
I have a 1983 3.0 140 serial number 6338294 and I'm not getting any fuel to the carb when trying to start it. The filter at the carb looks clean as a whistle. Thanks!

bucknutjoe

Seaman
Re: Fuel pump arm stiffness

Can someone help me with directions of how to get the diaphragm off of the pump body?

bucknutjoe

Seaman

Ok, so I now have the pump off and when I manually pump the arm I get a "whoosh" sound coming from the opening where the arm goes into the bottom of the pump. I'm guessing this means I've got a bad diaphragm. Can someone please try to confirm or deny my assumptions?

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

fluid in one side and when you pump lever it should come out the other side.use water to prove and if all is ok flush with fuel.The diaphragm should not have any splits at all.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

If the diaphram split,it would get fuel in the motoroil,does your oil smell gassy? Does it register over full?
Grub

bucknutjoe

Seaman

I got a diaphragm kit from a local marine shop. I've got everything apart except I can't get the rocker arm pin out. I've removed the retainer clip from the pin, and that allows me to move the pin side to side, but not enough for removal. I now see that I need to get the rocker arm pin plug off, but I'm having a really hard time doing so. Any tips on how to get ahold of this sucker to finish this job would be greatly appreciated!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The pin should just push through. If it's tight it may be bent slightly or have some gum on it. Try setting it up in a press or vice with the body supported and press a little more on the pin.

bucknutjoe

Seaman

image.jpgimage.jpg

Ok, so here's where I'm stuck. The diaphragm kit comes with a new plug, so I've clearly got to get the old one out to remove the pin. The opposite end of the pump housing is closed, so there's no pushing through from that side. How in the heck to I get this plug out so I can then remove the pin and rocker, diaphragm, etc.

Thanks again for all the help!

achris

Drill a hole in it and flick it out with a screwdriver...

bucknutjoe

Seaman

Ok. Might have messed something up here. As I was loosening the fuel line from the carburetor, I started with the wrong nut, and twisted the metal fuel line just before its nut. It doesn't show any cracks, but there is a twist in the metal. I looked it up on here and its available as a universal part for roughly $50-60. Two questions: since I twisted the original, do I need to replace it regardless, or can I reinstall and check for leaks? Second, is there a reason this part is so special and not a more "standard" (read: cheaper) part like rubber fuel line?

Thanks for your knowledge!

achris

Can't have rubber fuel lines on a marine engine... Personally, I'd put a new one in... It only needs a hairline crack and BOOM!!!

bucknutjoe

Seaman

Part # 18-8114. Isn't this "ptfe" basically rubber? So is this ok, or do I need to be searching for the OEM?

achris

PTFE - Poly Tetra Fluoro Ethylene... Plumber's tape. Nothing at all like rubber..

If it's proper marine rated and approved, use it. Personally, I'd go back to a metal OEM line.... 32-41102A1 (if you're looking for the line between pump and carby.)

Chris..........

bucknutjoe

Seaman

It worked!!!!! I finished the rebuild of my fuel pump and gave the line a close inspection and decided to cautiously proceed with it. My little boat is finally running again!!!!! Thanks so much for all of your help! Now it's just a matter of figuring out what else needs to be done before I hit the water! WooHoo!!!

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

We're all glad its up and running again and that the problem was sorted without too much grief.