Deck removal, transom rebuild

tipitina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, its that time I guess. I removed my motor today (hope I remember how to get it back on) with hopes of getting started on the transom. I have a 1976 17.5' bass boat desperately needing a new transom. After removing the motor, I decided I would try and avoid any cutting. I began taking the trim piece off the boat(the part that goes over where the hull and deck connect). Do I need to remove the whole deck? Or could I just lift it about halfway, brace it and do the transom from there. Aslo, is the floor all part of the deck? In other words if I lift the deck off is the floor going to be attached, or do I need to remove that also. Thanks for the help. I can post pics if needed.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Deck removal, transom rebuild

If you are sure the floor is ok you can just drill the rivits a little over half way down the sides and lift the top up from the rear and block it, be careful if you raise it and you start to feel quite a bit of resistance drill some more rivits you don't want to break the top. The floor is glassed to the hull not the top. What kind of boat is this anyway? If the transom is really rotted you might get away with just digging all the old wood out, if it's not you may have to cut the inner skin off of it, check the inner skin real close at the corners it may be cracked if so just go ahead and cut it out.

tipitina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Deck removal, transom rebuild

the boat is a 1976 mel hart 17.5' bass boat. not completely sure how rotted the transom is. was planning on just lifting the rear, diggind out all the rotten wood I can. Then drying out what is left, pouring CPES onto it to restore it, and then cutting a new piece whatever size I pull out, using some other stuff from rotdoctor.com and putting it all in. This sound like a good option?? the peeps at rotdoctor said it should work fine. I plan on removing some of the floor "rivets" i guess these are screws? tonight and seeing if this will allow me to pull up the deck in the rear. im keeping my fingers crossed!