Gear Lube leaking from outdrive...Alpha One GEn+ (1997 Mercruiser 4.3). Please help

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good morning,
I just bought a 1997 Chaparral with the 4.3 Mercruiser. The engine and outdrive run great (just tested outside with the ear muffs). A couple of days ago, I changed the gear lube to the QuickSilver HP and filled the reservoir. I just noticed that the reservoir is empty and I see gear lube leaking from the portside small hole (the small hole on top of the water intake...right under the rear port side bolt that holds the lower unit).
Here is my question:
Should I just buy the impeller kit and just replace the impeller and the seals?
Thanks!

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Gear Lube leaking from outdrive...Alpha One GEn+ (1997 Mercruiser 4.3). Please he

When you drained the gear lube did you see any water coming out?

Seems like you'd want to drain the lube, pull the drive and do a pressure test and see what that shows.

Mark

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Gear Lube leaking from outdrive...Alpha One GEn+ (1997 Mercruiser 4.3). Please he

Hi and THANKS for the assistance,
No, I did not see any water come out when I removed the old gear lube.

Can I perform the pressure test with the drive on? (I think you mentioned "pull the drive")

Please let me know if I can buy the pressure test kit (piece) from Autozone. Imp currently at Fort Campbell, KY. There are no good marine stores nearby.
Thanks again!

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No, you need to pull the drive.

May even need to split the halves and plug with a rubber cork the oil passage hole between the 2 halves if need be.

Here's a link from the sticky section regarding making a pressure tester.
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...sure-check-prior-post-233546.html#post1573303

Should be checking the u-joints/bellows for any water, gimbal bearing and engine alignment once a year with the drive off.

Mark

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got it. Will do...THANKS!

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

maybe the quad ring between the 2 halves has been left out previously.(small oring) when changing the impellor on starboard side of pump.
Impellor replacement may be sensible too whilst its apart.was it ok b4 just changing the lube or was it done for a reason as it was low.seals may be bad in upper unit too but there is a pair to do if they're bad.

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just removed the lower part of the drive and Yes, the small O ring was missing (maybe left out or completely destroyed). I already ordered the impeller repair kit (QuickSilver).
By the way, when I removed the lower part of the outdrive, I notice some fresh green(gear lube) on the top part of the shaft (it was dripping down)...Im not sure if there is a reason for the gear lube to be up there or if the upper seals are bad too.
Now Im a bit worried and (like you said) there could be another missing or bad seal in the upper unit ( I have no idead hoe to replace that one).
thanks!

dubs283

Vice Admiral

the only way you are going to know for sure which seals are leaking is with a pressure test

the drive has to be off the boat, drianed of lube and assembled to properly pressure test

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

post a pic, if its a GEN II (2 nuts and bolts on each side) the upper will drip if you remove the lower.

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

shaft.jpg

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here is the picture. So, the oil on the top part of the shaft does not mean that the upper seals are damaged. Right?

I mean, the upper seals could be damaged and the only way to be certain if by performing the pressure test. I was just hoping to take care of the problem by just replacing the lowers seals.

Any advice on how to access and replace the upper seals?

Thanks!

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It looks like you're missing the water pump face seal on top of the housing; or did you remove it?

Mark

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

the horiz input shaft is removed, the verticle shaft is removed, the 2 seals are removed by driving them up and into the upper housing. the new seals are driven down from inside the housing.

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no, I did not remove it. That's how the lower part of the drive came out. I took that pic righ after I pulled the drive.

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As you can see, the small O ring (quad) is missing too. Anyway, I already ordered the QuickSilver (complete)Impeller repair kit

powersail

Cadet

I had the same problem ... It was the quad ring...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The ONLY way to verify you don't have any more leaks is to pull the upper off the bell-housing, assemble it to the lower, and before you fill it with oil, pressure test the entire drive.... YOU HAVE NO OTHER WAY OF DOING IT.... So don't ask if you can do it this way or that way... there is no other way. This is the ONLY way.....

Chris........

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

you may have all this oil if you never drained the drive b4 removing the lower.have a quick look up the upper drive inside to view the seal as you may not have a problem if draining was forgotten.

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually, this was my first time draining the oil and Yes...I left a lot inside.
I just removed the top cap from the upper unit and, Thank God, the gears look in decent shape,
I will put the new water pump and properly seal the lower unit, then I will put it back, remove the whole outdrive and pressure test it,
Thanks!!!upper gears.jpg

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class

By the way, Im not sure if I can (at least) visually inspect the upper seals from here.
Can I?