How did he know this? 1987 25 hp evinrude ?

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
This fellow I know walks to my for sale outboard rack and ask how much for the 25 commercial ? I said I did'nt know the 25 was a commercial , I looked at the mod# sure nuff it said e25rlccca Well the conversation turned to other outboards but again by just walking up to the outboard and from 10-15 ft away he spotted the motor straight off the bat as a 25 commercial, So do these commercial 25 hp motors have a very obvious "something" that jumps out to you folks in the know? if so could I get the run down on what should jump out at me. thanks school me please!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: How did he know this? 1987 25 hp evinrude ?

I think the lowers are a bit heftier on them.,been awhile since I've been around them.look around online at same motors,and compare to regular ones. Serial numbers are an easy way to tell.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That model number is a '88, not '87, kodibass. The first "C" might mean commercial.

I Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 100hp industrial. It has a 150hp gear case, and the graphics on the engine cover are different, and the entire engine was painted in a very dark grey. My engine cover came with a cut-out globe graphic on a grey background, no hp number, only V4 on the back. It was similarly colored as the 90's Mariners. As I understand, these motors also have low compression heads, and can burn almost any liquid that burns, from alcohol to kerosene. I liked the graphics, but the cover was broke so I had to replace it with a regular blue cover. My low compression heads were replaced prior to my ownership, and I'm told by a good mechanic that it raised the hp to about 115.

bsmithbum

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not personally familiar with different colors or decals, however I can confirm that the lower units on the commercial/heavy duty models are different. Both internally and externally.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

thanks all, I did find some stuff on-line that mentions the lowers as being heftier , Heck I didn't even know there was a commercial 25. Now that I do I'll pay a bit more attention in the future. A guy gave me this one for tuning up his chainsaw--score!