not going into gear

charlie1975

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys..I have a 1978 Evinrude 150 outboard..I just changed water pump today and now after putting back together I have reverse but no forward.Never had a problem with gears until now.Any idea what may of went wrong.Any help is greatly appreciated.thanks

Re: not going into gear

Try spinning your prop while tring to switch gears while not running spin both ways see if it will pop into place

The shift rod probably got screwed in or out, throwing the adjustment off. You MIGHT be able to get away with just adjusting the trunion on your shift cable. Shift the engine to neutral, remove the shift cable from the linkage, and adjust the trunion until the shift cable end exactly lines up with where it goes on the linkage. Reinstall the shift cable end, tighten everything up, and see if that fixed it. If you can't fix it this way you'll probably have to pull the lower unit and adjust the shift rod height per factory spec (one of the pros on here will know the spec for that).

The reason i say that is it happened to me i didnt take lower completely off but pulled up and down and it wouldnt go in reverse all i did was spin prop and wiggle on gear handle and it poped in place havent had a problem yet but havent had on water either i hope i didnt mess anything up it switched good in tub now