Expert opinion on trim pump I found on eBay for 1997 SX-C

gdeangel

Seaman
Have a problem with my 1997 SX-C outrdirve - starts to leak down gradually over about an hour. Have to trailer with the safety post supports in place if I'm going any distance. Anyway, a new OEM pump looks like it will run me >$600 bucks... a guy at a local marina said he had a rebuilt one he'd throw in for $350 with a 1 year guaranty.

I don't really like this marina too much because a just few little things over the years that I thought were done sloppy, but actually I've not had a problem with anything they've done mechanically. I ran a search on eBay for volvo SX trim pumps and turned up this one not too far from me: http://www.ebay.com/itm35bff9d749 There is no part number listed, but it looks *approximately* like what's on my transom.

Two questions for the experts: (1) Will the eBay part work in my setup? and (2) how involved is this to change out yourself (hours, any special tools or "non-serviceable" I'll need to have on hand, like gaskets, etc., to finish the job). And a bonus question: (3) Would you put a used/rebuilt trim pump in your boat, or am I in for a future headache?

THx.

Re: Expert opinion on trim pump I found on eBay for 1997 SX-C

im no expert but a leak down may not be the pump unless its a all in one. Do you have a manual and is there a emergency bypass screw on the system. also could be a leak by in the ram.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No, there is not a manual valve on any I/O's, that's an outboard thing.
The trim rams could be the problem but since they came out in 94, I have never seen one leak down, or heard of one here in the forums over the past 10 years.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

There are a few things that can cause a leak down and this is some explanations I have sent to some inquiries sent my way.

Now for the drifting issue:

2 causes for drifting. First is displacement of fluid. In other words seals are leaking by. Most of the time when it is in the cylinder it is the piston bi-directional ring.

What happens is the pressure on the one side of the piston in the cylinders leaks by to the non-pressurized side and the drive will drop until there is a balance in pressure on either side of the piston. ………….. The other related to seals is it pisses out on the ground out of the rod seal.

2nd cause is leaking valves in the trim pump that need to be cleaned

VOLVO BULLETIN:

* This SB applies to:
- All DP-290 with Power Trim.
- All SX, DP-S drives where the shield designation starts with ’’SX-M’’. Previous shields had a
different type of pump and pump house.

Volvo Penta has received reports that the drive does not stay in the raised position, it slow- ly
lowers down in some cases. It can also happen that the drive slowly lifts during operation

This is almost always caused by dirt around the up/down valves in the pump housing.

If the above problems occur, follow the instructions below to remove any dirt from the up/
down valves.

1. Apply maximum trim to the valves.
2. Undo the two bolts (1). (These can be quite tight).
3. Remove springs (2).
4. Use a magnet with max. diameter 8 mm to pull the pistons out (3).
5. Clean the valve seats and pistons with a rag. Do not use solvents, this could damage the rubber
ring on the
piston.
6. Re-install the components. Torque bolt (1) to 50-65 Nm.
7. Fill up the Power Trim tank with ATF hydraulic oil.

A filter has also been added by the Power Trim hose unions with the valve housing. This filter has
been introduced in production on SX/DP-S as from TSK serial no.
4111621407**. The filter can not be used on TSK units produced before this serial number.

** Will be introduced on DP-290 during 1999

dlk4602

Cadet

I had the same problem with my boat which has what appears to be the same pump as yours. I took a chance and replaced the trim pump and that solved the problem.

I went with an aftermarket Sierra 18-6806 pump for ~$400. I had to fabricate a new mounting bracket for the pump and a bracket to mount the relay assembly.

Dave.

Don S

Note: the service bulletin billbayliner talks about is a completely different pump and the procedure will not work on the pump the OP has.

And the 18-6806 sierra pump is also the wrong one.

dlk4602

Cadet

You are correct Don that the Sierra pump is not the same and is not a direct replacement. I could be wrong, however, when I was looking for a new pump for my boat I found that the style of pump I have which looks the same as the one the OP has is obsolete.

The replacement pump listed on the volvopentastore.com website shows part number 3587079 as the replacement.

Power Trim System SX-C, SX-R - 7749307 - Volvo Penta

The sierra pump I listed is "equivelant" the Volvo 3587079 pump. It does appear like the volvo part number 3587079 may come with the mounting bracket, relays and wire harness.

Don S

If you look at his first post you will see he wants to do this cheaply, and the pump he is looking at is $250. The Sierra is 450 and no electrical on it.
So to answer his two???? 3 questions

Two questions for the experts: (1) Will the eBay part work in my setup? and (2) how involved is this to change out yourself (hours, any special tools or "non-serviceable" I'll need to have on hand, like gaskets, etc., to finish the job). And a bonus question: (3) Would you put a used/rebuilt trim pump in your boat, or am I in for a future headache?

1-should
2-depends on access, and your abilities which I don't know.
3-if I knew it worked, why not.