Floorboards for an Aluminum boat

dxpaper

Recruit
I have a new 14 foot Smoker Craft Voyagure boat and I would like to fit it with floorboards instead of mats. I would like to see some examples. Any Photos?

Thanks

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Floorboards for an Aluminum boat

Not a good idea. It'll add a lot of weight to the boat. Crap may collect under it. You'll lose freeboard.

I had the same issue. I didn't like my old boat since I was always walking on a wet slippery bottom, so I upgraded to a model that already came equipped with a non-skid "floor"

Now having said that, my new rig did NOT have a floor in the bow section between the front jump seat and the first cross seat. It was at the steepest point of the V and it made anchoring a chore. So, I fitted a 1/2" piece of plywood in the V section, steamed it to fit the contour of the bottom, covered it with vinyl that matched the rest of the boat, and screwed it down to the ribs. Its not level in that it follows the contour of the bottom. You could do something similar, but remember that the floor would not be flat, but rather follow the roundness of the bottom. If you wanted it flat you would have to add ribs and the excess weight would not be good.

IMG_2209web.jpg

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I just made a grate type of flooring, just something to stand on to get off the floor and out of the V in the bow. The bottom was patterned to fit the hull shape and the top slats were horizontal. I laid it in and when I wanted to wash the boat just lifted it out.

Mark

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My dad's old 14' boat has had a wood floor in it for 20+ years now. Plywood with some 2x4 supports. All sections except the stern where the fuel tank sits. Covered with cheap outdoor carpet. Never a problem with it concerning the extra weight and flotation. It really isn't that much extra weight. One guy can lift the sections out by himself. And the little 9hp motor pushes it around fine. I'm sorry that I don't have some pictures to share with you.

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you're concerned that it's too slippery, check out Durabak.com

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mark, do you have photo?

My tiny restoration pram has the V, and I know it's going to be trouble when I finally get her on water,

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Theres a site dedicated to modding small aluminum boats.
They put in floors,decks,storage made of wood or aluminum and very seldom do they have problems.
Granted,I bet some people do go to high with their free board and some might add alittle to much weight.

The difference between some boats and there pricing is the fact that they do have a floor/livewells/storage etc(the boat dimensions are the same).

As long as you keep track of the weight you add in(stay within the max weight) and keep your freeboard at a safe height,you'll be fine.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Most tinnys are designed for water to go through the floor boards and then drain toward the back of the boat to the bilge pump. Here is picture of the way I made mine. I used treated and stained wooden slats aprox 2 inches wide. Cheap to make too but it did take a little time.

Attachments

• bot 018.jpg
    bot 018.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 1

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Mark, do you have photo?

My tiny restoration pram has the V, and I know it's going to be trouble when I finally get her on water,

No I don't but it's just a grid screwed together with Home Depot deck screws. You can take a piece of paper and make a pattern for the V area in the bow. Up there the frame will be left to right (port to starboard) and the top rails will be fore and aft cutting the lengths to correspond to the shape of the V....long in the center and shorter at the sides. You may need a 2x6 for the rear cross support to have room to cut your v and still have a flat floor when finished. The mid and stern is just 2 or 3 2x2's going fore and aft with a 1x2, use one for a spacer and remove, 1x2 use one for a spacer and remove, etc till you cover each side.

If you are worried about slipping, get some enamel paint and fine sand paper...HD has kids play sand which is perfect. Spray the paint on the boards and while still wet, just dribble the sand on top of it. Then strike the side on the floor or something with the rack to remove the loose sand. Apply a top coat to cover the sand. Let it dry good before using. Works like a charm.....I do the same thing in my trailer tongue so I don't slip off when L and Ling.

Mark

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Theres a site dedicated to modding small aluminum boats.
They put in floors,decks,storage made of wood or aluminum and very seldom do they have problems.
Granted,I bet some people do go to high with their free board and some might add alittle to much weight.

The difference between some boats and there pricing is the fact that they do have a floor/livewells/storage etc(the boat dimensions are the same).

As long as you keep track of the weight you add in(stay within the max weight) and keep your freeboard at a safe height,you'll be fine.

I used to read there quite a bit until I got tired of seeing all of the butchering of classic aluminum boats and people getting praised for it. Sucked.