Thermostat for 2004 5.7GXi-F

Boat Bum

Recruit
I am trying to locate a thermostat for 2004 5.7GXi-F, serial number 4012107223. The listed part number, 3587597, is too small for the opening at 1-7/8? diameter. The opening on the intake manifold is sized for a 2-1/8? thermostat. I have been working with my local VP dealer who contacted VP about the problem. They responded that they had changed the housing and a new one will cost $100.93. This makes no sense as the thermostat on a raw water cooled engine mounts on the intake manifold. The fresh water cooled engines have a separate housing. Mine is raw water cooled. I have asked my dealer to provide more details on this part.

I purchased the boat used several years ago (2004 Four Winns 268 Vista). It recently started overheating. When I pulled the cover to replace the thermostat I found that it had been removed. Has anyone run into the problem?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Thermostat for 2004 5.7GXi-F

I am trying to locate a thermostat for 2004 5.7GXi-F, serial number 4012107223. The listed part number, 3587597, is too small for the opening at 1-7/8” diameter. The opening on the intake manifold is sized for a 2-1/8” thermostat. I have been working with my local VP dealer who contacted VP about the problem. They responded that they had changed the housing and a new one will cost $100.93. This makes no sense as the thermostat on a raw water cooled engine mounts on the intake manifold. The fresh water cooled engines have a separate housing. Mine is raw water cooled. I have asked my dealer to provide more details on this part.

I purchased the boat used several years ago (2004 Four Winns 268 Vista). It recently started overheating. When I pulled the cover to replace the thermostat I found that it had been removed. Has anyone run into the problem?

Not sure what you are referring to, but the same housing for the raw water cooled engines didn't change.
You do understand the thermostat does not sit in the intake manifold, it's mounted up inside the thermostat housing and held in place with an oring. Been the same setup for years.

Tstat.jpg

Boat Bum

Recruit
Re: Thermostat for 2004 5.7GXi-F

You just answered my question. I had no idea it mounted that way and with no old thermostat to remove I would have never figured that out. The Clymer manual makes it look like it sits in the recess on the manifold. Thanks you so much for the quick (and correct) response. I have been messing with this for a couple of weeks.