No Start On 56 Evinrude Bigtwin 30

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Tried to start my 56 Evinrude 30 last night and today with no luck. I got this motor for a restoration project and before I tried to fire it up I did the following:Checked compression 110-110 Replaced coils, points, condenser, spark plug wires and plugs. Rebuilt carb, replaced fuel lines, rebuilt pressurized fuel tank. Replaced impeller and added fresh gear oil. I noticed today that there was no fuel in the fuel filter bowl and found that there was a clog on the fuel side of the male fitting on the engine. I fixed this and tried again with no luck. It turns over with no indication its trying to start. I did notice what appeared to be a backfire in the tank of water several times and a little oil gas mix in the tank. Not sure where to go from here. Its getting good spark and appears to be getting fuel. Any help will be appreciated.:confused:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: No Start On 56 Evinrude Bigtwin 30

Plug wires on correctly? FRONT coil on the mag plate fires the TOP cylinder.

nwcove

Admiral

plugs wires on the right way?? if yer sure of that, try spraying some premix directly into the carb throat. ( or dumping a tsp of premix into each plug hole)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Pull the plugs after attempting to start. Are they wet?

How do you know you have good spark? Are you using an actual tester with the gap set to 1/4" Simply holding the plug to the block is not a good test of spark quality. Does not mimick the compression in the cylinder. The spark should jump a 1/4" gap on the inline tester with a bright blue ZAP!!

If in fact you have good spark, and your compression sounds ok, try as stated above. Squirt a little pre mixed fuel directly into the cylinders and try again. Does it now fire? If so, there is a fuel delivery issue.

When priming the carb bowl, did you hear it filling, then feel the needle seat?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is the flywheel key okay? Might be sheared.

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Pulled the flywheel today and noticed the magnets on the flywheel had some oxidation, cleaned off with emery cloth. Everything else checked out OK. Checked spark with in-tester and got good spark. Pulled plugs and squirted premix into the cylinders and its firing but not starting. Seems to be flooded, spark plugs are wet. Will let sit till tomorrow and try again.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I would say you are having a fuel delivery issue. Time to reopen that carb and see what is going on.

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Agreed, will go back in and recheck everything. Do I need a new carb kit every time I pull the carb? How about the Pressurized tank? It seems to working OK but it seems that the carb and tank work together. Can i isolate the problem to one or the other? Maybe check the carb first and then the tank? I also noted that the high and low speed needles seem loose. The high speed needle would actually spin while the motor was cranking tring to start. Problem?

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You dont have enough packing washers in there, or the packing nut is not tight enough. Once the needles are set, tighten down the packing nut so it takes some finger pressure to turn them. I dont like them vibrating loose. I use extra packing washers and tighten down well to keep down on air leaks and the needle moving.

Definatley do not need a new kit if you open it up.

If the tank is pumping fuel, and filling the carb bowl, the issue at hand has nothing to do with the tank. That is not to say there is still nothing wrong with it, but is not your current issue.

I had asked earlier, is it pumping fuel when you prime with the button? Does it fill the carb bowl in like 6 or 7 pumps, then feel pressure as the needle seats?

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes its filling the bowl in 6 or 7 pumps and I am feeling pressure as the needle seats.

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just checked again, the bowl is filling in several pumps but the needle isn't seating. I can keep pumping and there isn't any pressure so i guess I have found a problem. What should I look for when pulling carb? Will get new packing washers also.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Either the needle is stuck, there is debris in the seat not letting it seat, or the float is not floating. Was it a new float?

Did the needle have a wire circlip that attached to the float arm?

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't think so the only thing there is the float, the center bearing needle that the float arm hinges on and the high speed needle that sits in the float valve. It has the old cork float.

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Pulled the carb and noticed the cork float has very little varnish on it if any. Is there a plastic float for this carb? There is not debris and the needle isn't stuck. Probably the cork isn't floating? Is revarvishing an option? Thanks Jenny

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You can recoat. I do it all the time. I use model airplane dope. You can also use super glue.

You dont have a picture with the carb opened up do you?

Here is the new clip.Retainer.jpg

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here are some pics of the carb, it doesn't have the new clip.IMG_1754.jpgIMG_1755.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Did you say you just bought a kit? If so, which brand? An OEM kit would have an updated needle/seat and a new float in it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I also dont see the high speed nozzle gasket (boss gasket) installed. Did you get one? It would be a thick o ring.

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The guy I bought the evinrude from had the kit, don't know which brand but it didn't have a float. I'm upset with myself for not checking to make sure it was a complete kit. Do you have a part # for a carb kit with the float and the new clip? Thanks Jenny

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Well it was probably complete, but when you buy an aftermarket kit you dont get everything you would get with a factory kit.

If you dont have a local dealer, here is the float you will need showing the part number. Probably cheaper to buy a new float than the sealer you would need to coat it if you only have to do 1.

Evinrude Johnson OMC 0375792 - Float & Arm A @ MarineEngine.com

It would be a shame to have to buy a complete new kit. I would post a link from iboats, but I dont believe they carry the float that you need.