OMC Drive - little bit of water in oil

swanics

Cadet
I own a 1994 Reinell with an OMC engine/drive (not the SX drive) Recently I changed the gear oil in the drive for the first time in 4+ years. After struggling to work out the top screw and then the drain screw, the oil coming out was slightly milking. After a short while the oil coming out was black. The picture is of the milky oil coming out. During the change I pumped the oil in from the middle fill screw and replaced all the o-rings.

Question: Would you do anything to try and fix this now or wait until the end of the season to see if water made it's way in there again?

Also, after the change I started the boat with muffs, ran it forward and backward, and then let it sit for about 24 hours. When re-checking the oil level with the dipstick screw loose, the oil is right at the full mark. Should the oil be at the full mark when screwed in or loose after running and letting it sit?

Gear Oil.jpg

Thanks.

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Drive - little bit of water in oil

I would pressure check the drive to be safe. If its a cobra drive then the dip stick must be screwed al the way in to check the level.

swanics

Cadet

Thanks for the quick reply, I understand you need to drain the oil to preform a pressure test... Would the instructions below be the proper way to go about testing?

-----------------------------------------

The following is a description of tools and components used to pressure/vacuum test an outdrive for leaks and freeze cracks.

Test Fixture:
Pressure gauge (0-100 PSI well water gauge) $8.00
? x ? x ? NPT Pipe Tee $2.00
? NPT to 3/16 or ? Barb Fitting $2.00
? NPT x 1 Pipe nipple $1.50
? x ? x ? NPT Pipe Tee $2.00
? NPT x 2 ? Pipe Nipple $1.75
1/4 FNPT Gas Rated ? Turn Ball Valve (Brass) $8.00
? NPT to 3/16 or ? Barb Fitting $2.00
? NPT x 1 to 2 Long Pipe nipple, one end turned
down to .50" O.D., and re-threaded to ? - 13 $1.75

Total All Components: $29.00
(The above cost does not include a compressor, vacuum pump or vacuum gauge)

Assemble the gauge components, using Teflon sealing tape or a gas rated thread sealant.

Set air compressor regulator to 20 PSI or so. Connect air pressure line to test fixture. Open ball valve slightly and close when gauge reads 15 PSI.
Maximum for this test is 15 PSI.

If the outdrive will not hold pressure, locate source of leak.

After pressure test, connect vacuum pump to test fixture barb fitting. Slightly open ball valve. Draw 15 inches of vacuum and close ball valve. Time how long it holds a vacuum.

I have read if an outdrive holds 15 PSI, or 15 inches vacuum, for an hour or more, it’s okay. A really good unit will hold it for 12 hours or more.

Imho, any freeze crack would cause pressure or vacuum to drop almost immediately. These tests can be performed with or without oil in the gearcase. But be aware of the differences in results. Probably a drained gearcase would be the best way to test an outdrive for pressure or vacuum.

Another way to test is to submerge the entire unit when it’s pressurised and watch for bubbles.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

It doesn't appear that you have a HUGE amount of water (or much at all!) in that oil.

I would change it, run it and drain a little every so often or so.

Is this a "Trailer-boat" or do you park it in the water all summer?

If not, just run it and drain a little bit after each run or every other run and see if you are detecting water.

Evidently you did NOT change the oil last year?.............. or is this water intrusion after only a small amount of operation starting this Spring?

I own a 1994 Reinell with an OMC engine/drive (not the SX drive)
What model exactly?

It's a Dog-clutch Cobra? the engine/drive would likely be a 1993 model since they were still being used in 93.
1994 went to the "SX" style drive with the engine driven raw water pump.

Is your raw water pump on the back of the drive or is it engine driven?

swanics

Cadet

Boat was owned by some buddies who never changed the gear oil in the 4+ years they owned the boat. I jumped on the ownership last year and have been taking it as an opportunity to learn how to maintain a boat properly. Prior to me owning the boat, winterizing was just draining water out of the engine block, storing the boat outside with a tarp over it, and the changing only the engine oil in the spring. In short, the water intrusion was from 4+ years of use with never a change. The boat is in the water from May-September and stored on a trailer off-season.

Not sure on the drive model I can check when I head home. The Reinell model is a 196brxl with a 5.0 Cobra, Ford 302 block (not the Chevy), two barrel carb, and the water pump is powered by belts.

Overall my thoughts were just run it this season and hope that the water intrusion was largely because the boat hasn't seen a oil change back there for years.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I would say change it NOW.

When you do, pay particular attention to the actual model number of the engine/drive combination, find a correct year OEM service manual and change the oil STRICTLY in accordance with the OEM instructions.

If it is a Dog-clutch model and you change it wrong, you'll be buying another drive.

When you start doing the service, NEVER leave possibly contaminated oil in the engine or drive over the off season.

ALWAYS change both along with other winterization "stuff" before winter layup.

The Reinell model is a 196brxl with a 5.0 Cobra, Ford 302 block
This is not very useful except that it's definitely a Cobra!

If you have a picture that would help.

502APRJVB
502BPRJVB
50FAPLJVB
50FAPLJVN
50FAPRJVB
50FAPRJVN

502APHUB
502APHUE
50FAPHUB
50FAPHUE

502APLRGD
502APRRGD
502BPRRGD

The above are examples of 1991-1994 or so models of 5.0L Cobras. they're not all the same and have different drives etc.....

Any OEM service manual will indicate what models are covered. I suggest avoiding the aftermarket manuals.

You should be able to find a model number on the engine someplace that looks something like the above.

Regards,

Rick

btw,

Until you know for sure, I wouldn't leave it in the water for a long period of time after a "hard" run. That's when it will suck up water while cooling down. When you get it back on the trailer, after it sits over night or so....you can remove the dipstick and drain plug briefly to see if you get water when you drain a little bit. If you don't get any water after a few tries, it's probably not leaking.....

swanics

Cadet

I'll find the exact model # when I get home, but after looking at pictures and the manual the procedure to change was exactly as this tutorial explains: http://forums.iboats.com/omc-i-o-in...gear-oil-change-tutorial-pictures-597218.html

I did change the oil this week (which is when I noticed a little bit of "milky" oil). I replaced the old oil with Royal Purple 75w90 according to the manual. The question was could the small amount of "milky" oil be no big deal considering that small amount of water leaked over a 4+ year period.

Thanks.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I'll find the exact model # when I get home, but after looking at pictures and the manual the procedure to change was exactly as this tutorial explains: http://forums.iboats.com/omc-i-o-in...gear-oil-change-tutorial-pictures-597218.html

I did change the oil this week (which is when I noticed a little bit of "milky" oil). I replaced the old oil with Royal Purple 75w90 according to the manual. The question was could the small amount of "milky" oil be no big deal considering that small amount of water leaked over a 4+ year period.

Thanks.
If you have a Dog-clutch Cobra and you changed it as described above, you did right!

I would run it with the "new" oil and check it after a day on the water. It it's clean, run it some more and check it again. After a few times checking it (with negative results) I would say you do not have a problem.....but check it again in a couple of weeks...

4 years is a LONG time to have oil in there.....if the boat is used regularly.