1956 johnson 7.5 hp ad-10 m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddy1956jad10

Recruit
I recently got my 7.5 running, but when i checked the lower unit all
That came out wat about 4 ounces of rusty looking water ,i filled it with hypoid
Oil and drained it more rust came out have not ran it yet but i would like to know the
Proper steps to getting all this rust out

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1956 johnson 7.5 hp ad-10 m

HI buddy. Welcome to iboats. It sounds like the oil seals are definitely bad in the lower unit, which means you'll need to pull the old ones and replace them. Not to worry, it's a DIY job and you can get a reseal kit right here at iboats for about $20. Once you have the gearcase open, be sure to inspect the gears themselves for any rust, or permanent damage. Here's a link that can walk you through the job. It's for a slightly different model, but all of the steps are essentially the same.

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-ev...l-kit-1968-evinrude-fastwin-18-hp-601481.html

F_R

Supreme Mariner

As already suggested, if it has been run a lot with water / no oil, there may be serious gear and bearing wear. That would be considered beyond repair and you may need to look for a better lower unit.

Buddy1956jad10

Recruit

I found the seal kit for this motor and thank you
For that ,but is there any other seals in the unit i should
Replace or does this kit have everything i need?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You will need a base gasket (you must pull the powerhead to drop the gearcase), I would change the impeller for sure, and inspect the carbon seal assembly. It is important to replace as needed. It protects water from getting into the powerhead up the driveshaft.

The gears/bearings and such will have to be closely inspected when apart as mentioned by Frank.

I have a 1956 johnson 7.5, unfortunately I don't know how to use the gas tank. I understand you have to pump it up and fill the carb. But I don't know how many time you pump it, or if it just becomes hard to pump when its good.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You operate the primer button to fill the carburetor with 24:1 mixed fuel.---Tighten the gas cap.-----When motor starts it pumps air into the tank and that pressure keeps fuel flowing into the carburetor.

Status
Not open for further replies.