Advice/Comparisons on Bowrider Boats

Arynden

Cadet
My family and I are looking to buy a bowrider in the next year, but as we have never owned a boat before we are trying to get as much information as possible from seasoned boaters. I'd like to hear from as many people as possible so I can weigh the arguments and better educate myself.

The specs we are looking for are:
A carrying capacity of at least 1200-1300 lbs
Seating for 7-8 people (we think with 1200-1300 lbs capacity this isn't a problem)
A reputation for durability and not breaking down-hull integrity is paramount
Approximately 18 feet long, a couple feet more or less either way is fine
Good for kneeboarding
A captain's seat that isn't cramped (Most StingRays we checked were too snug, but largest were OK)

At first we were looking at buying a Bayliner, but we've since come to hear that the durability and reliability of those types of boats is sub-par with a high tendency of breaking down. I don't know if this has changed over the years, so I would like to know what others have to say on the subject.

We also took a look at StingRays and as I said, most of those were too close to the side windshield.

This boat will only be used on a freshwater lake for recreation, but not fishing. We are also aware of the upkeep that will be involved with winterizing and storage during the off season. With these specs in mind, we'd also like if anyone could give us their opinion on cost for value. We were not able to get estimates on the price of a new boat if we chose to go with a Four Winns or a SeaRay model, and we don't know much about Cobalt aside from one we saw at the boat show. A used boat is not out of the question, but we are understandably afraid of getting stuck with a lemon.

What boat brand(s) do you think is best for our needs?
Which brands do you consider most reliable for this?
Any rough estimates for the ones you suggest?
What things should we look out for or be cautious about if we buy used?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Advice/Comparisons on Bowrider Boats

Honestly we get this question probably most of all and the answer never changes, when it comes down to used boats Condition, care and maintenance is most important not make. You can get an idea of the model you are interested in but to stick with a certain make of boat you will certainly make your decision much tougher. Bayliners made recently are fine boats, yes they had a pretty horrible reputation but in the end the real issue was inexperienced boat owners not taking care of the value priced boat and then deciding they didn't have the commitment to the boat and then getting rid of it once it had fell into disrepair, its the owner not the boat.

Some of things that are important to help you are, your location, your budget, if you plan on trailering your boat or not.

You gave us a lot of information but you also gave us some of the stereotypical garbage we get tired of hearing so let me give you a piece of advice, being a prospective boater, its not wise to come in and beat up Bayliner when you don't know the story, a 10 year old Bayliner that has been taken care of is more of a boat then a 5 year old Cobalt that has been left out in the elements and ignored, know what I mean? I know you didn't mean anything other then to get recommendations and opinions and I can assure you that anyone who wants to beat up a Bayliner had better have personal experience and not spout off about a friend of a friend who had a horrible boat, and of course it had nothing to do with the operator/owner.

Boats are a pretty big commitment, don't take this lightly, I am sure you have heard the saying about the two best days in a boat owners life are when he buys a boat and when he sells it, complete freaking garbage, if I hear someone say that to me one more time I will lose it...

Arynden

Cadet

Please do not think we are going into this purchase blindly and without any consideration. While we are planning on buying one in the next year, we have been studying and reading up about boat types and brands for the past 18 months and are about to enroll in a course on boating safety. We've also been attending boat shows and looking at various dealerships to get an idea of what is out there. Unfortunately, as we live close to the capital of North Carolina there are not very many boat dealerships within close driving range, and when we finally decide on the brand we want, we expect we will have to go far. So there you have it, our area is mid-eastern US with a rather gentle climate, although we will probably rent a climate controlled storage space for the winter months.

We are indeed planning on trailering our boat, but we also knew that most bowriders that you can purchase will come with its own trailer. We have also been planning on what type of car we will be getting so that it can handle the weight.

The amount we're looking to spend on the boat: We'd like to get one somewhere between 25k-35k, but if there is a good enough deal and we're convinced it's worth it are willing to go a bit higher. Resell value is not a big factor to us, as this is not something we plan to do - this is one reason why consumer reviews on reliability (as well as reputable repair shops) are something we've looked into so much. We also like that most new boats come with the lifetime hull warranty for original purchasers, and that is a BIG factor to us.

I don't believe that I trashed on Bayliner boats as I explicitly said in my post that I don't know if the quality of those boats is different now and would like various opinions about it. It's kind of like Jaguar after Ford took them over. We are not looking for a boat that we plan to sell in a few years, as this is something we expect to hold onto and provide proper upkeep for. I'm aware that care and maintenance of a boat is important, and that is a great deal of some of the information we have been reading about. However, that being said, this is one major reason why we do not want to buy used because the only thing we know to look for to determine how well the previous owner took care of their boat is by obvious hull cracks and blemishes.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

ok your in one of the pretty good boating markets but your also in an area where trailers can't be assumed to be part of the deal so keep that in mind, you have more lakes then you think, just thinking of your area makes me drool, anyway, you have a huge budget for a boat so once again remember your going to need to focus on condition and care first, 7 to 8 people comfortably so your looking at a 25' boat or better which is considered a large Bowrider and your budget will support that for a boat 5 to 10 years old in mint condition with a trailer. I also don't know if your interested in a portatoilet I wasn't but its really up to you but the fact is that in 25' bowriders portatoilets were not part of the boat but recently they have been so that may play part in your search. All things being equal(condition care and maintenance) the boats I hold in high regard are sporty bowriders, Cobalts has almost always been tops but they are not what I consider to be Sporty so if they are for you then its an easy choice, Cobalt is the mark everyone holds as the highest quality boat. Crownline is what I consider a Sporty Bowrider and the Boat I prefer but I am biased so lets move on, Chap, Monterrey and Regal are incredible boats that deserve a look, Sea Ray also makes a fine boat.

I understand the stereotypes associated with buying used but you need to understand that the boats I am describing are $60,000-$80,000 new but are firmly within your budget in the 5-10 yr old range in mint condition you just have to look a little bit, also its a good idea to have a marine survey of the boat your looking at they act as an independent party educated in boats and can give you a good idea of the condition of the boat your looking at, hull stress cracks are not unusual and when taken care of they are no big deal, brand new boats have them sometimes its the nature of the beast with flexible fiberglass hulls.

You could go a bit smaller but its going to make things more cramped, I have had 12 on my 248, 6 adults and 6 kids and that was packed, kinda depends on how much comfortablility your looking for but like I said I think with your budget your in good shape for a 25' boat 5-10 years old in mint condition.

I can do 8 adults and the 110 LB yellow rug(Lab) no problem.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

one other thing to consider is that as far as bowriders are concerned your looking at inboard/outboard, there are 2 makes Mercruiser and Volvo and they are both great brands when looking at used boats the obvious "Lemon" is the one with a soft floor, an indication that the boat has been stored open and the floor is now done, the reason why this is so important is that under the floor is the stringers and more times then not if the floor is done so are the stringers. The motor and outdrive if maintained can run 1000 hours or more with routine maintenance but if the stringers are bad the boat needs a major overhaul. Its pretty easy to step on every inch of a used boats floor if its solid its a good sign if the Previous Owner says he just had the entire interior replaced you should have a disco going off in your head, make sense?

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know several people who own Bayliners old and new. They are fine as long as you maintain them. You can fit 8 people on most 19-21 foot boats.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Guys, he's looking at new or maybe a year or two old. So the "watch out for rot and OMC sterndrives" doesn't pertain. Therefore brand is not all that important, especially with the lower budget for new 18' boats.

Most "shopping lists" have irresolvable conflicts ("a boat that holds 12, fits in my garage, can tow with my camry, good for offshore and lakes, for $3000). This one is not so bad except the budget may be tight.

What's too tight is the style of boat--sofa boat--is so cramped inside that fitting 7-8 comfortably (not the same as legally) and not having a cramped captain's chair, is not feasible. There are far better designs per boat length for carrying more passengers comfortably, and for operating; the sofa boat is one of the worst.

When buying new and pushing the budget down, you often get stuck with underpowered rigs that are made that way to sell to non-boaters buying their first boat. Beware.

Also, when you buy new, unless you are trading up, you have to spend another grand in the equipment, that often is thrown in with a used boat.

North and South Carolina make some of the best family boats going. Maybe it's hard to find sofa boats, with so many boat buyers who know better?

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Look at the following:
Monterey 204FS(194FS used)
Four Winns H190 or H200
Regal 1900
Cobalt 200
Bryant 198
Rinker 196

That should keep you busy. In this size, I think you will find the Monterey to be the most "roomy" and good value for your $'s.
I left out Sea Ray, just because when we compared this size boat last year, they were overpriced for what you can get from other builders, and
they aren't built any better.

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seating for 7-8 people
Approximately 18 feet long, a couple feet more or less either way is fine
Good for kneeboarding

!8, or even 20, foot boats (even bowriders) are going to be real cramped with that many people and provisions for the day on board (unless you are just headed to a nearby sand bar/island to get out and play). Promise. And unless you find one with enough engine to do the job, watersports will be a strain and possibly not much fun. And if you regularly have children going, they will certainly want to ride a tube. (Hey, adults may want to as well. It's fun.) Where you going to put that thing? Sooner or later wakeboarding is going to come into play. Better be thinking big boat with a big engine.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I agree that 7-8 people, especially adults, will be cramped on a 19' (or so) I/O bowrider. There might be seating for that many, bu not much room for anything else (coolers, watertoys, etc.).

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can seat 8 adults COMFORTABLY (boat is 'rated' for 12-13). But thats in a 24' boat, with a 8'6" beam, wrap around u-seating in the rear. I don't agree that "sofa boats" are always cramped, and have bad seating arrangements. If Home Cookin' had his way, everyone would own OB boats with no vinyl interiors that can just be hosed down everytime they're used. Some of us want more than that out of our leisure toys, yanno? Nothing wrong with wanting your boat to be comfortable, clean, and inviting for you, your family, and your guests.

Anyways, point being - seating 7-8 people in an 18' boat? Sure, it can be done. But once you get 8 people on board, coolers, tubes, personal effects. I bet you will be pushin those "capacity plate" limits, not to mention being really cramped.

Maybe a deck boat would be more up your alley? More seating, and everything is laid out a little more openly. You mentioned this is your first boat, you will have to consider winterizing, storage, etc. You want to seat a lot of people, and you said you'll be on freshwater lake(s) only. I'm not familiar with your area, or lakes.. but what about even a pontoon with an outboard? no winterizing, no "hull issues" to worry about, you could get a lot of boat for your budget range with a pontoon. You could still pull a kneeboard no problem, everyone is comfortable, less maintenance involved, specially for a first timer.. just a thought.

Arynden

Cadet

I need to clarify what I meant by cramped. I meant that the chair in the StingRays I sat in placed my head so close to the windshield that it was very distracting and annoying. It wasn't until I tried out the 2 largest versions on display that I felt that I had a good enough distance from the glass. I don't need a lot of room for movement for who we'll be going out with.

Many of the models we've been looking at had great storage underneath the seats for what we intended to bring, but the models with the engines in the middle did seem a bit cramped. Aside from a couple coolers, life jackets, knee board, and possibly skis in the future, we will not be bringing anything extra.

As I've said before, the lifetime warranties are extremely important to me, which is why a new one is so appealing, and why I'd like to find something close to the price range I'm aiming for. I do like how the Crownline models come with a multitude of warranties if they're bought new, and the price range is reasonable for a 21 SS. While I want room for 7-8 people, that is with consideration of 3-4 being children, which of course will become teenagers. I'm just curious because I can't find a lot of good prices for new SeaRay and Four Winns models, since their websites don't provide them. Of the models we've checked out I had noticed that I really liked the size of the 20-21' models. The bowriders I'd ridden before had been smaller, but I realize since we were a party of 5 that gave us more room.

A pontoon boat is not something that would allow us to get the kind of speeds we're aiming for, so we really do want a sportier model that can get a bit of speed. A deck boat's design is pretty nice, and you're right that it has a nice open area to them, but most of the models we've really liked have been in the bowrider design.

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, if you have a 25-35k budget, and want to stick to the 18' range, why not go new?

Outstanding value here:

2013 Chaparral 19 Sport H2O

Personally, if you have that much to spend, and you want to fit 7-8 people comfortably, I'd look for a larger pre-owned boat.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Here are some "ballpark figures" for a couple boats I am familiar with.

2013 Four Winns H190 w/4.3L V6 and Alpha 1 = $33K with single axle trailer.
2013 Monterey 204FS w/4.3L V6 Alpha 1 or SX drive = $35K with dual axle trailer
2013 Bryant 198 with 4.3L V6, Alpha Drive = $37K with single axle trailer
2013 Rinker 196 with 4.3l V6 and alpha drive = $30K with single axle trailer

These are not MSRP, just OTD prices in our area.

salty87

Commander

7-8 people with boards, skis, tube, ropes, jackets, towels, food/drinks....on 18'...no thanks. that's a crowded boat and quite likely over capacity. my 23' says capacity 10 and that would be climbing over junk because there isn't enough under seat storage for all of that considering there's already 10 lifejackets under the seats.

there's got to be somewhere close by that rents boats. go out in a group of 4 and see what it's like. that will give you a better idea than reading up on it.

also, don't get fooled into thinking a new boat means it's trouble-free. it should be and it might happen but it's not automatic. the phrase shakedown cruise exists for a reason. there are usually some issues whether big or small with any newly acquired boat new or used.

Arynden

Cadet

Our plans for the boat are to be able to go out and spend most of the day alternating between kneeboarding, casual boating, and swimming while the boat is at anchor (never really considered tubing before today), and then heading up to a picnic style area that has some outside grills. This is what we did in the other bowriders from a few years back (not ours). Our vehicle will also be nearby so if we really needed to store larger, excess gear or ran out of room we could leave them inside and come back for them in the afternoon. We still are not planning on being able to store more than the life jackets, tow line and one knee board. If there is space, we will also load the coolers - many of the models had places to store fish that would have suited. The skis are something we may look at in the future, same for tubes, but not now. Our outside clothes, except maybe shorts would be left in the truck.

Thanks you for the advice on a shakedown cruise. We will definitely keep that in mind before purchasing.

My family is small: 2 adults, 1 child, 2 small dogs. The reason we're looking for the size and carrying capacity we are eyeing is so that we can occasionally take out friends and their kids. (One other family at a time.) The space available is also a consideration since some of our friends are a bit bigger than us.

We did originally look for places that could rent out boats to us, but the only types available were paddle boats, canoes, kayaks, and the like. There is nowhere nearby that rents the kind of boats we want for the area we will be in, which is why we finally realized that we'd have to end up buying.

Sorry, maybe I shouldn't have said 18' give or take a couple feet. I actually meant 18' as a minimum length (but would not say no to a nice 17' model). 20' give or take a couple feet either way would probably have better described what we were looking at, which is one reason why I was considering the crownline 21 SS.

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would spend the extra 3K and get the 4.3L. I think the 3.0L is a joke if you want to have 7+ people onboard.

No doubt. Still within their budget. That was just the landing page to spec out the boat.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Advice/Comparisons on Bow rider Boats

Re: Advice/Comparisons on Bow rider Boats

... As I've said before, the lifetime warranties are extremely important to me, which is why a new one is so appealing...

Boat Warranties are nowhere near the same as an Auto warranty!

It is a limited Lifetime Structural Hull Warranty.
Be sure to read the fine print very, very closely.

The manufacturer Warrants the HULL ONLY!
Meaning if it isn't made out of fiberglass, it isn't covered by the Manufacturer's Hull Warranty.

The Engine, Fuel Tanks, Steering, Seating/Upholstery, Windshield, Deck fittings, Electronics, Lighting, Etc. Etc. are cover by their separate manufacturers, if at all.
Not by the Name on the Hull.

The warranties only include
Substantial structural defects in the fiberglass material or workmanship in the boats Hull or Deck that causes the boat to be unfit or unsafe for general use as a pleasure craft under normal operating conditions.

Specifically Excluded are
All cosmetic defects including but not limited to; Blisters, Cracking, Crazing, fading, air voids, or oxidation of the Gel-coat, Discoloration or Fading of any Colored Surfaces, Water Damage or leakage, Structural Rot or damage caused by water leakage, Peeling of Vinyl graphics, Etc. Etc.
The validity of Warranty claims will be at the sole discretion of the manufacturer.
The boat will need to be returned to the Manufacturer's or his representative's (Dealers) location at the expense of the owner.
In other words, If it wasn't glaringly obvious to even your Grandma siting in the back of the truck when it was delivered, and they don't think it is bad enough to cause the boat to split in half and sink, it isn't covered. :rolleyes:

Once you tow it home; You're on your own!

It sounded a lot better when the salesman said it! :D