2 motors, 1 tank

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want my 4-stroke kicker to pull gas from the 30 gallon tank for the 4-stroke big motor. What is the simplest plumbing approach to do that? I want to keep life simple.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2 motors, 1 tank

If you don't want both engines to run at the same time, the quickest and probably simplest way would be to insert a quick-connect in the fuel line in the splashwell. Then, simply disconnect one engine and connect the other.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most fuel filters have an extra port that is easily "uncapped" and a separate fuel line run to the kicker from there. That's the way all my fishing buddies run theirs and it works fine. If your kicker has electric start, it makes a nice clean cable path for both the wiring and fuel lines out to the kicker.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The only thing needed to plumb it to the filter (you should already have one, and if you don't, get one now) is a squeeze bulb between the filter and each motor, this keeps one motor from sucking fuel from the other.

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The only thing needed to plumb it to the filter (you should already have one, and if you don't, get one now) is a squeeze bulb between the filter and each motor, this keeps one motor from sucking fuel from the other.

I think I understand, but I'm not sure. 1) Is the inline fuel filter on each engine inside the cowling the filter you're recommending? 2) Or, are you recommending a larger, mounted cannister filter between the 30 gallon tank and the motors?, 3) If I understand what you're suggesting, if I put a brass or plastic Y or T after the fuel line comes through the motor well wall, then a squeeze tube before the line going into each motor, will the squeeze bulb act as a 1-way valve, so if I shut off the main 100hp motor and want to start and run the kicker, do I just pump the kicker, run it, then stop it, and pump the 100hp and start it? No need for a mounted brass valve that diverts gas to the main or the kicker? If so, that sounds simple.

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you don't want both engines to run at the same time, the quickest and probably simplest way would be to insert a quick-connect in the fuel line in the splashwell. Then, simply disconnect one engine and connect the other.
Sounds simple, but I don't like the idea of an open fuel line dangling in the motor well when not in use......water can get in and fuel will slowly leak out into the motor well.

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most fuel filters have an extra port that is easily "uncapped" and a separate fuel line run to the kicker from there. That's the way all my fishing buddies run theirs and it works fine. If your kicker has electric start, it makes a nice clean cable path for both the wiring and fuel lines out to the kicker.

What type fuel filter are you talking about? My fuel line is buried deep and emerges at the motor well. There is no filter between the 30 gallon tank and the engine. The only filter is an inline filter under the engine cowling. Can you give me some more details?

Quad82

Seaman Apprentice

If you don't have a fuel filter/water seperator between the tank and the splashwell, that is where you would install one. About $30 to $50. It looks like a remote oil filter relocator. They have 1 or 2 inlets from the tank(s) and useally 3 or 4 outlets to indivual motors. You would run the gas line from your tank into the remote filter and run it back out to the fitting at your splashwell. In series so to say. You would then run another line out of the remote filter to your kicker motor. Both motores would have a primer bulb between the filter and each motor. There is a check valve in the bulbs that stop gas from being pull from one motor to the other.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

No outboard company recommends Tee-ing into a gas line or a filter housing to run an auxiliary motor. There is the chance of sucking air from the non-running engine fuel line which could cause the operating engine to run lean and cause piston damage.

If you cannot run the kicker from a separate tank pickup, then install a 3-way marine fuel selector valve so only one motor at a time can be run. It is the same type of valve used to switch from one tank to another in boats with 2 gas tanks.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

No outboard company recommend Tee-ing into a gasline or a filter housing to run an auxiliary motor. There is the chance of sucking air from the non-running engine fuel line which could cause the operating engine to run lean and cause piston damage.

If you cannot run the kicker from a separate tank pickup, then install a 3-way marine fuel selector valve so only one motor at a time can be run. It is the same type of valve used to switch from one tank to another.

While this may be true, there are many thousands of boats rigged this way in my part of the world and it works fine, few (very few) have a three way valve, but it would add a level of reliability. We switch back and forth between each motor so frequently it would be a big hassle to use a valve.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Had a 9.9 hp and 115 hp on same boat that had a built in 75 gal tank. Just added a T connection with both hoses going to motors having their individual primer pump thinking these were one-way pumps. Never had any problem, but cannot remember running both engines at same time.

Forgot to mention both OB's were running premix at 50:1 ratio.

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks PECHEUX and ONDARVR for showing me that life can be simple. My local marine store wanted me to re-plumb and install lots of brass for $200+. Thank you again.