spark plugs for 1992 60 hp mercury

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Went to get the NGK brand for this engine but they didn't have so they crossed over to Champion and gave me these plugs there is two numbers on package 936-1 and below is L78YC my question is are these plugs okay for this engine ?If not what is the correct plugs or better yet What is the best plugs to use ?

1992 60 hp Mercury serial # OD142687

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: spark plugs for 1992 60 hp mercury

Who is "they "? Champions are excellent plugs. The plugs given to you are a marine plug and should be OK.

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class

They is Auto Zone . My concern is that I don't want to get too hot of a plug and burn a hole in a piston .Being a Champion plug is okay by me but I want the correct one .

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you tell me how you got the model number of the engine and also there is 9 of the item #9 How did you determine which one ?
Regards ,
Robert

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Cross reference tables are used quite frequently for plug crossing. Someone takes the specs of different makes and compares their operating and physical characteristics so that you can POSSIBLY swap with another brand. You aren't going to hurt the engine. It just may not perform to expectations, especially in high performance or critically tuned engines.

I have a Merc and I know they like NGK. Why? Must perform the best. I had a (Dodge) Ram Hemi and they spec'd Champions and no other brand. There were cross references to other brands, but Champions gave the specified performance so I used them. No where on the www could you find any reference from anyone that substituting another plug would maintain your performance.

Mark