Johnson 140 vro

amsamu

Cadet
I have a 1977 johnson 140 vro ....heres my issue it has started the past 4 weeks with the muffs on and just today it cranks but wont start...things ive checked is fuel,spark,new plugs checked and found one wire cracked so i fixed it ..Motor will just crank pop once in awhile bur nothing else....Question i have is the red switch on left side of motor should face up? another question is i have never seen so much fuel and oil pour out of the bottom by propeller could this be from trying to start non-stop?...also pulled off fuel lines from motor and cranked fuel is going through..also the new plugs have no show of wear after trying to start for an hour today?,,

Thanks you for any help in this...

71Windsor

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Johnson 140 vro

the red lever your speaking of is the choke it should turn almost 180 degrees and one way you will feel a slight tick like its setting into a groove and the other when you turn it fully you will not feel that little tick. once you find that position this is where the lever should be. and the goo is unburnt fuel/oil being forced out of your engine. sounds like its flooding and not getting the right spark or the timing is off. when you prime the bulb does it get firm? next time you try to prime it (id wait 24 hours) take the hook off the engine and inspect visually and listen very closely so the sound of fuel. as you prime you should hear the fuel pushing air out then stop once the bowls are full. if you hear fuel squirting and you can keep priming. your flooding the engine badly.

amsamu

Cadet

Checking spark i did the old screw driver trick...As for the red switch i did turn it both ways and never hear a click..also when i work he plunger i can hear the fuel going thru but still only cranks im at a lost for ideas did all the work on this motor 3 years ago and has ran great since then ....even after all winter only primed the bowl and turned the key and fired right up...

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Will the spark jump a 7/16 " open air gap ??