Help me identify this Johnson/Evinrude 115 - Searched far and wide and got NADA!

lilhoss

Cadet
Ok experts, I picked up a 78 Baja 15' with a 115 Johnson/evinrude on the tail end, however the serial plate has been removed and appears the "freeze" plug on the rear top of motor has been replaced at some point so I'm left with no serial number or model number that I know of. I've searched for all the numbers I've seen on the motor and all come back to being just part numbers.

Are there any other signs of what model/year this could be? It was re-painted white and came with a 115 Johnson hood cover that is white as well. Obviously some of the white paint is pealing off to a nice dark sparkly blue underneath. (my assumption would be its a Evinrude then??)

If I could post pictures of any part of the motor would that help identify the model and possibly year of this motor??

Here are some pics of it but if there is anywhere else to look i would love to know!!

Thanks for any help guys!!!

photo 1.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 4.jpg

Will add more pictures in the morning.

Re: Help me identify this Johnson/Evinrude 115 - Searched far and wide and got NADA!

looks like a late 70's so maybe the original to the boat. unless someone else chips in then find a part number and compair the part numbers on this site. 1978 Evinrude 115899C 115 hp Outboard Motor Parts

you can search by diffrent years or part number to try to find at least the model type also

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help me identify this Johnson/Evinrude 115 - Searched far and wide and got NADA!

A wild guess, ,'73 to '77. The power pack gives it away.

lilhoss

Cadet

looks like a late 70's so maybe the original to the boat.

I guess my other question is what motors came on these little boats from factory...??
Here are a couple more pics
photo 1 (2).jpgphoto 2 (2).jpgphoto 3 (2).jpg

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Best guess: it's a 1977 140. It's got the performance bubble back exhaust. 1977 was the first year for the dual thermostat housing, which this engine has. Can't be a 1978 because it has the bell-crank shift mechanism under the bottom carb. This a rare, high perf engine! If you ever pull the lower unit for a new impeller, check to see if it has a tuned exhaust megaphone under the powerhead. 1977 was the only year for that high perf item.

lilhoss

Cadet

Best guess: it's a 1977 140. It's got the performance bubble back exhaust. 1977 was the first year for the dual thermostat housing, which this engine has. Can't be a 1978 because it has the bell-crank shift mechanism under the bottom carb. This a rare, high perf engine! If you ever pull the lower unit for a new impeller, check to see if it has a tuned exhaust megaphone under the powerhead. 1977 was the only year for that high perf item.

Well that would certainly be awesome if that was the case... Would you happen to have anymore info on that high perf motor you speak of? I actually did just install a new impeller but wasn't looking for anything different with the exhaust while I was in there.:facepalm:

Was this a specific model number??

Thanks everyone for your input so far!!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

There were two model numbers for the 20" 140 that year. The special tuner bolts to the underside of the exhaust adapter, at the top of the midsection. That engine has large carbs, high compression heads, special rubber intake filler blocks (also on the 115 that year.) It's also possible that the gear ratio in the lower unit is unique to the 140 that year. The 140 crankcase has a factory machined rib removed from the base of the block, for better exhaust flow-the main difference between that block and the prior 135 blocks. You can see the factory parts list diagrams for your engine at their website: epc.brp.com It should make good hp up to 5800+ rpm's.

lilhoss

Cadet

Thanks for all that info.. I'm just hoping i can positively ID this motor.

BTW, I sent you a PM as well.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The 140 did not use the MagFlash ignition system. The engine is a 135 style. Some pictures of the carb and throttle linkage closeups and the choke solenoid wiring can narrow down the year.

lilhoss

Cadet

Just went out and took a couple more pictures... maybe some of these will help.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 3(1).jpg
    photo 3(1).jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 0

lilhoss

Cadet

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpg

A couple more.

lilhoss

Cadet

Well after looking for more part numbers and then looking them up on the BRP parts catalog, I really only found one part that is exclusive and that being the exhaust manifold cover. Part number 0323319 - come back to the 140TL78C motor

1. 0323319 COVER, Exhaust manifold, 140 HP

Wish I could find ONE more part to verify this motor. I didn't see any part numbers on the carbs themselves to verify.

lilhoss

Cadet

Can anyone confirm this part 1. 0323319 COVER, Exhaust manifold, 140 HP is exclusive to the 1978 140???

Anyone...Anyone? Parts guys??

THANKS!:joyous:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Gotta be 1977 or earlier, as it has the rocker arm style shift linkage in front. 1978 had a lever on a shaft that ran under the carb.