Hard Starting 56 Evinrude 30

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is it typical for a 56 Evinrude 30 to be so difficult to start manually? Its an electric start and I have to replace starter so im trying to pull start this beast and my arm and wrist were sore after only a few times? Iv done all pre start maintenance so it should be good to go just cant seem to pull starter cord hard enough to turn it over?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hard Starting 56 Evinrude 30

Are you doing this while it is on a boat transom, or are you testing on a stand or in a barrel?

Much easier on a boat than a stand, but still a bear none the less. The 30s even more so than the later 35s, which had compression release on them.

Take the plugs out and try again. Is everything smooth like that?

Very hard to judge over the internet but will assume that it is just the compression holding you back.

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes im on the boat trying to pull start. The last thing i did before trying to start was replace impeller. I wonder if I didn't get something back together correctly? It fells like something is holding it back. I pulled the plugs and its easier but still not right. Ill have to pull the lower unit and look for a problem. I noticed there was a small gap between the lower and upper units that closed up when I tightened the bolts. Is this normal?

nwcove

Admiral

do what hightrim mentioned, pull the plugs, and slowly pull the cord to feel for anything binding or feeling odd.

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes I pulled plugs and something feels odd. This was my first impeller change and everything seemed to go as it should except when I was raising the lower unit back up it didn't come completely together to the upper unit. There was a 1/2 " gap that closed up when I tightened up the bolts. Not sure if this is right?

nwcove

Admiral

did you have to force the bolts to close the 1/2 gap?????

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ok drop the gearcase back down. You should NEVER have to use the bolts to snug it up. Should slide up with ease.

Here is what you do. Remove plug leads and ground to ensure it doesnt start by mistake. Put into forward gear. Leave prop on. Grease splines, but not TOP of driveshaft, and grease water line and grommet on impeller housing. Slide gearcase up, ensuring water line slides smoothly into grommet on top of impeller housing, the push up till it stops. Now, slowly turn the prop clockwise, while pushing up on the gearcase. It should pop up when the splines line up. Put in a bolt, and now tighten it up. When bolts are in, use needle nose pliers and gearshift to pull shifter back down into neutral, guiding shift rod into coupler. Align detent in rod with hole, and install bolt.

Test gears by shifting and ensuring the prop is acting as it should when in neutral, forward and reverse. If all is well, install shift rod coupler panel and call it a day. :)

Drink beer.

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Any chance I may have damaged something? I didn't really force the two units closed just tightened them up and the gap closed.Anything I should look for while I have it apart?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Inspect the splines on the shaft. I have seen it done many times by others and all was well after I reattached it. Knock on wood!

JENNIE116LOWE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Everything slid into place as you described after I aligned the splines by turning prop. The Beast turns over easy now and surprise the starter is working just fine. Thanks again

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Im glad. Just think of the experience you gained though! :)

Enjoy the water.