1976 volvo Penta 280 tilt help needed

Rustymiller

Recruit
Greetings:

I have a 25 foot glastron with a Volvo Penta 280 outdrive. I am having issues with the electric tilt device. How can I grease the tilt shaft or what can I do to make it work better. It will lower the unit but will not raise it unless I lift it by hand first. Seems to run out of power. Been sitting for at least 4 years. I am thinking it needs some grease but cant find a zerk or any way to add any.

I also found a plastic plug down at the bottom area on the right side, what is this for?

Thank you all so much for your help.

captmello

Captain
Re: 1976 volvo Penta 280 tilt help needed

Welcome!

There is no grease zerk for the tilt mechanism, but it is filled with grease. If the outdrive tilts freely by hand, then I would suspect the motor is worn out or perhaps some corroded wiring. The tilt can be removed by removing the two bolts at the base of the mechanism. Or you may be able to remove the motor without removing the mechanism. If it were me, I'd remove the entire assembly and go through it. Its easy to reseal and check over. Replacement motors are available.

Rustymiller

Recruit
Re: 1976 volvo Penta 280 tilt help needed

Thank you.

What I did is took the top cap off where the relays are and filled that tube with Grease and run it up and down several times helping it by hand. Now it seems to work all by its self.

Got it running finely but now I dont have water pumping.. Hummm Must be mouse nest somewhere?????