partial stringer repair? How is this done?

ASI Imperial

Seaman
Hey there all!<br /><br />I have torn up my floor to find that a few stringers have rotted. It looks like where the boat was boarded all the time. I only need to replace about 3 feet of the rear stringer. Any ideas?<br /><br />Thanks Brian :confused:

crab bait

Captain
Re: partial stringer repair? How is this done?

sure.. scab...<br /><br />epoxy & screw wood to one side/better both sides of stringer..at least 4 to six inches along the side(s) of the old stringer that is still good wood.. as so to have a splint to glue & screw your new stringer wood to..

ASI Imperial

Seaman

Gotcha!! Heres the stupid question for the day! what wood should i use for the stringer repair?

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Definitely use epoxy. When glueing things with epoxy, mix some wood flour in the resin to get a peanut butter thickness. Don't forget to precoat with unthickend epoxy first to wet the wood. With this method, screws are not needed, just clamp lightly. The rest of the boat will fall apart before the new pieces do. Douglas fir is a good wood to use. Regular 2x is ok also. Make sure to seal it all up with a few cotas of epoxy too.

bernieb

Petty Officer 1st Class

What wood to use you say ? Stop by a new housing job under construction bum some 3/4 plywood scraps and use galvanized bolts to complete the "sandwich". fiberglass all surfaces with the med. weight cloth and use 2x2 alum.to bolt to transom.You can stuff mat and glass into the middle for extra strength.