14" vs 15" tires on new trailer

Chewey

Cadet
I tried looking through the forum for this but couldn't find much. I am having a new aluminum trailer built and it comes standard with 14" rims. Other trailers I've had all had 15" rims. Is it worth it to get the wheels upgraded to 15" rims?

It'll be carrying my 22' 4300# Chaparral 220SSI.

Thanks,

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: 14" vs 15" tires on new trailer

I would probably go to a 15" if not to expensive, you have far more options in tires. What is the weight rating on the ID tab of the trailer? I know a lot of companies, will use the minimum when matching their boats and trailers, but upgrading to a larger tire is never a bad thing, especially when it concerns 14" to 15"

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

I`ve got 14`s on my Chap`s tandem aluminum trailer. To me the thought of buying 5 new wheels and tires were a deterrant to keep the 14`s it came with. I`ve had no problem with the set up so far. Make sure your fenders will allow for the larger tires with enough clearance. Mine is kinda tight with just the 14`s.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I would probably go to a 15" if not to expensive, you have far more options in tires. What is the weight rating on the ID tab of the trailer? I know a lot of companies, will use the minimum when matching their boats and trailers, but upgrading to a larger tire is never a bad thing, especially when it concerns 14" to 15"

That's my thoughts too......

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unless you're going to be towing really, really long hauls, you're not going to notice any difference. The 14 hubs will get a little hotter.

Hell, I built a Teardrop Travel Trailer on a Harbor Freight trailer via a forum, and some people towed theirs cross-country on 8" rims!

Chewey

Cadet

Thanks for input guys. I'll check and see what the upgrade charge will be.