Christening my boat.

footbrake

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well next week we'll be putting her in the water and was wondering if we should christen it. It already has a name on it that we'll be keeping. Do we christen it seeing it's our first boat. I'd like to change the name sometime but heard that it's a complicated deal with the Sea Gods and all. what gives here about that. Thanks for all the help. Oh yes one more thing, why do the guys call the wives the Admiral?

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Christening my boat.

First, because the Admiral is the highest ranking officer. If you don't believe it, challenge her. You can come up with any good reason for adult beverages, christening the boat is as good as any. The renaming ceremony isn't at all complicated, just search here.

zimm17

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Christening my boat.

We just christened ours (but also named it). It was unnamed for 12 years! You don't have to do it on the water- we did it at home in the driveway. Little ceremony, $20 bottle of champagne. Wife said "Bless this boat and all who sail on her, I Christen thee "name of boat" and we sprayed half the bottle on the hull and drank the rest.

My last boat (22' Donzi) had a stupid name, I pealed off the letters and left it un-named. I had the worst luck with it- broke down several times, including after proposing to my wife on the water. Engine finally blew up and I sold it.