1992 8hp Mercury Wont Start, Spark, Compression, Fuel Ok

PBR Streetgang

Recruit
Hello, I have a 92 8hp Mercury Outboard that I have just acquired and it wont start. I have alot of knowledge on small engines but this one is throwing me for a loop. It has good spark on both cyl. It has just under 90psi compression for both cyl. and I put new plugs in it. I sprayed fuel in both cyl. and still no fire. I even cleaned the carb just to be on the safe side. I am assuming that it is a timing issue so I replaced the power pack, still wont start. I pulled the flywheel to check the key, its good too. I cant see how the stator could be doing this. I have no idea now.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1992 8hp Mercury Wont Start, Spark, Compression, Fuel Ok

How are you checking spark?
How are your spark plugs looking?
Clean them then reinstall them and ground the ht leads,
Pull the starter a few times and then see if plugs a wet with fuel

PBR Streetgang

Recruit

Hello, thanks for your reply. I have a very good spark tester and I have already replaced the plugs, they are brand new. They are wet with fuel. I am am going to remove the reed plate now and check to see if the rubber gasket is in place (i was talking to someone today who gave me that idea). I will let you know how it went.

PBR Streetgang

Recruit

Hello, sorry for the delay in following up with this but it took me so long to get the part that I forgot all about this. I removed the reed block assembly and found the seal that separates the two sides was missing a peice. The part from Mercury is no longer available ( surprise surprise ) and no aftermarket part either. I was able to find an NOS one from a dealer in Hamilton and had him mail it to me. It was only 2.50. Put it back together and it runs like a clock. Some others have told me that you can use an o ring cut to size in its place but I didnt want to try.