115 Hp motor wants to lift out of the water when I put in reverse!!!

Jeffneal1988

Cadet
I just tryed to launch my boat today. It had tilt and trim but It does not work so I maualy lowered the mortor, put it in the water got it started and put it in reverse and the motor started to raise out of the water!!!!! WTF please help I really would like to finaly get this boat on the river. What can I do?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 Hp motor wants to lift out of the water when I put in reverse!!!

If you can manually lower that engine and it has PTT, either the manual release valve is open or the unit is devoid of fluid, or both.

What is the model number of that engine, or if you're absolutely sure of the year... what is it?

Jeffneal1988

Cadet

1974 115hp model # 115493

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

1974 115hp model # 115493

That would be the model that has the "add on" PTT unit... a lift cylinder on the outside of each transom bracket with a large reservoir and electric motor on the starboard side. If it's full of fluid, which I doubt, the manual release valve is open.

Not to insult your intelligence, but just in case... standing in back of the engine and facing the spark plugs, PORT is to your left, STARBOARD is to your right.

At any rate, when those units are installed, the manual tilt/release mechanism is either removed or simply locked in the tilt position. Hopefully your tilt/release mechanism is still on the engine and if so, there will be a manual tilt/lock lever on the port side that normally has a black plastic knob attached to it... located under the hood pan and just above the port transom bracket. If it's there, moving it in down direction locks the engine in place.

Jeffneal1988

Cadet

Ya I was looking for that tilt release mech and its not there I have the owners manual wich shows it but its not there so what can I do?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If you're sure that someone has removed either a portion of the mechanism or the whole assembly, unfortunately you're faced with figuring out exactly what items you need to obtain.