Will this triple groove lower crankshaft pulley replace mine?

Re: Will this triple groove lower crankshaft pulley replace mine?

Short water pump Small Blocks were mostly used in Corvettes, the most common were the long water pump. The back of the short water pump nearly touches the timing cover.

It looks like you posted links to two Short Water Pump styles there =SWP

The crank pulley is determined by which style water pump you have

Watch this Video:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... try this page,... I changed the "S"WP to an "L"WP, 'n came up with that search...

Cptkid570

Ensign

Thank you two for your responses. I've now attached pictures of mine. Look at how flat mine is on the front, it definitely resembles the SWP more. The LWP sticks out further. I looked at ebasicpower and they had a similar one to the SWP, but it is out of stock (I called them and it has been out of stock for a while). I may order the one that looks like mine and see if they are the same size. There are several sellers of this on ebay, I will contact them and see if they have a return policy in case it doesn't fit.

IF it does fit, then 1. I like that it is aluminum so it won't rust out and 2. I like the price much more than buying a mercruiser one.

Here are the pics:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 0

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

I may have a used one you can have for the cost of postage, if you are interested.

Cptkid570

Ensign

Thank you 300sflyer. I went ahead and bought one off of ebay from a seller that said I could return it if it doesn't fit (and if I don't damage it). I will know if it will work just by sitting it side by side with mine, so I won't damage it.

I will let you know the verdict. If it does fit, it is a very cheap replacement that should last longer.

Cptkid570

Ensign

Ok, I received my new pulley. I paid $34 + $8 shipping = $42 for the new puley from whiteperformance out of Kingsport, TN.

I have not installed the new pulley yet, but here is my visual comparison between the new aluminum pulley and my old one.

1. Holes - the center hole and 3 mounting ho where it mounts to the harmonic balancer are the same.

2. Diameter/radius - The new pulley is about 3/16" smaller than the old pulley, that said, the grooves in he old pulley are about 1/8" deeper than the grooves in the new pulley, so there really isn't much difference in the circumference.

3. Width - this where you will see a difference. The old pulley is a little over 1/2" wider than the new pulley. On my engine, the first groove (the groove closest to the harmonic balancer) is my alternator belt. The width difference will not affect this belt (which is the important one in my opion). The middle groove is not used. The 3rd groove is used for the power steering belt. This groove will be a little over 1/2" closer to the engine than on the old pulley. I do not know if this is a deal breaker or not. For me, I do not care if the power steering pulley is perfect. I will look and see if there is any way to get the p/s pump to move closer to the block and align better.

Here are some photos of the two pulleys together.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 0

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

Your belts will not line up properly, and you will tear them up in no time at all with the new pulley. What is the overall depth of your old pully, accross the 3 belt grooves, and what is its diameter?

Cptkid570

Ensign

Yep, you are right. Both belts are too far off and it will not work. Dang. Was hoping I found an inexpensive solution. I'm cleaning up my old pulley and I think it will be ok.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

What are the dimensions of your old pulley? This OEM aluminum one I have here, is 6-3/4" in dia x 2-1/4 inches thick.

Cptkid570

Ensign

Here are the photos that I took of mine with measurements. It is 6 3/4" across and just over 2 1/2" wide.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 0

Cptkid570

Ensign

Here are the photos of the pulley that did not fit just in case anyone does have a pulley this size and needs one.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 0

Cptkid570

Ensign

Apparently I didn't measure mine right. I'm supposed to put it flat on a table and measure from the harmonic balancer end to the other end.. that way my measurement includes the little flange on the harmonic balancer end.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

Do you have access to a drill press or better yet a metal lathe? Secure a 1/2 bolt in the center hole of your old pulley using as many washers and nuts as needed. Try and get the bolt centered as close as possible. Mount it in the chuck of a lathe or drill press, and spin it as SLOW as possible. If it wobbles too much, try re-centering it again. As it is turning, you can remove most of the rust with some 80 grit emery cloth. Then hit with a spray can of black paint. Hope that helps!

Cptkid570

Ensign

Well, the first 2 grooves of my pulley actually cleaned up pretty well (I soaked it in muriatic acid). I went to a marine store that has some used stuff in the back and found the 3rd pulley (power steering) that actually inserts into the first 2 (I didn't know it separated until I got mine all cleaned up). Only paid $10 for the used pulley. I've cleaned all of them up and painted them. So, my problem is solved for now. I'd some day like to switch away from the V belts or do something so my pulley isn't so out dated, but I don't know what all that would take, so I'm fine for now.

thank you all for your help!