97-98 Regals questions.

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking for my first fiberglass boat. I have found a Cobalt I like, but the owner is out of town till the 12th. I've been cruising Craigslist looking at boats, while I wait. I have found 2 Regals, I like. A 97 2100 LSR 5.0/Alpha and a 98 2150 LSC 5.0/Alpha. Are they good boats? How would they compare to a 94 Cobalt 200 5.7/Alpha? It's not about the money. 1500.00 is the difference between all the boats, thats without negotiations, just asking prices.

Thanks in advance.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: 97-98 Regals questions.

Cobalt is a well regarded boat . . . Regal is good as well, but maybe not quite as good as a Cobalt. With boats of that age, the actual condition of the particular boat will be the trump card and out weight brand reputation. Best to look at them . . . May 12th is not that far off for waiting to see all three that you mentioned.

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cobalt is a well regarded boat . . . Regal is good as well, but maybe not quite as good as a Cobalt. With boats of that age, the actual condition of the particular boat will be the trump card and out weight brand reputation. Best to look at them . . . May 12th is not that far off for waiting to see all three that you mentioned.

Thank you for the reply! I just wanted to make sure they didn't have bad years. I've heard Sea Ray's have issues from 94ish-98ish. I know Corvettes have weak heads 97-98, 92-93 are speed density and have to have a prom chip burned everytime you change something.

I'm trying to find the best boat in my budget range. The Cobalt and Regal 2150 are 1 owner well kept boats with ALL the service records for them. The 2100 is a 2 owner well kept boat with a ton of service records, but not all. I know I'll be paying top market for either of the 3, but it's cheaper than low-mid market and 2-3000 in repairs and service.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Both good brands. All of them MUST be looked at thoroughly from top to bottom before you decide.
I have never liked the odd side windshield's on the 2100, but it has nothing to do with the quality of the boat.
img_4032313_-1_20120806093437_0_0_r.jpg

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I owned a 98 2100 LSR with a 5.0 and thought it was a great boat. They do have issues though, the instrument panel and the other wood grained plastic parts have very little resistance to sun damage and are no longer in production. The instrument panel would be difficult to to reproduce as it is quite curvy. The plastic side window trim and side view mirrors have a tendency to break if sun damaged, and those parts are no longer in production either. If those parts on the boat are in good shape, you can limit the damage by keeping the boat shaded when not in use and make them last for years. The wood grain parts on my 2000 Regal are in beautiful shape because I keep them out of the sun as much as possible.

Condition is far more important than brand.

Good luck and let us know what you get.

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

Both good brands. All of them MUST be looked at thoroughly from top to bottom before you decide.
I have never liked the odd side windshield's on the 2100, but it has nothing to do with the quality of the boat.
img_4032313_-1_20120806093437_0_0_r.jpg

Thank you for you response!

I owned a 98 2100 LSR with a 5.0 and thought it was a great boat. They do have issues though, the instrument panel and the other wood grained plastic parts have very little resistance to sun damage and are no longer in production. The instrument panel would be difficult to to reproduce as it is quite curvy. The plastic side window trim and side view mirrors have a tendency to break if sun damaged, and those parts are no longer in production either. If those parts on the boat are in good shape, you can limit the damage by keeping the boat shaded when not in use and make them last for years. The wood grain parts on my 2000 Regal are in beautiful shape because I keep them out of the sun as much as possible.

Condition is far more important than brand.

Good luck and let us know what you get.

Thank you for you response! I will check the pieces you mentioned! As long as the dash isn't cracked or broken, I can make it look good if need. The windows and trim, IDK. LOL Whatever I buy, I have a nice spot in my building to store it.

I will keep y'all posted on what I choose, with PICS! LOL