drive shaft/pinion gear key size?

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to find a key for my drive shaft. The used lower unit did not come with one.
It is a 1958 evinrude 10hp, mod# 10016.

Marine engine.com shows the part # to be 305720. The pic shows a flat bottom Woodruff key. Sometimes the pics are not accurate.

Does any one know what size or trade number this key is? I'd like to get it from the local supply house so i can get it together by this weekend.

Thanks!

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: drive shaft/pinion gear key size?

So far I have come up with #305 or #4. They are both 3/32x5/8. Not sure if they are flat bottom or not. I suppose I could file the bottom flat.

What about strength? The ones at the hard ware store are plain steel, a opposed to alloy steel.

Is the plain steel going to have enough shear strength?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Best thing I can tell you is go to a BRP dealer and get the correct one.

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm waiting for one in the mail. But I found one at home depot that fits. Hoping to try it this weekend. The nominal size on the package is 1/8 x 1/2. This one is a flat bottom and actually measures slightly less than 1/2" long.
2 in the little bag for 55 cents.

AlTn

Commander

If you have a lot of wear< clearance > between the d/s and the bronze bushing it passes through right where the top of the pinion gear rides, this isn't a good thing...if the wear is minimal consider it a blessing. I learned this through the Forum < FR as I recall > on the same model 10 hp. The bushing on the one I was working on for a friend was eggshaped from wear. With the l/u filled with lube I could turn the d/s in gear c/w 3 or 4 times and it would "catch" or stop. I'd jiggle the d/s some and it would resume turning. All that to say this: it's not hard to get a "war pension" tied up in that lower unit and it still be iffy in the long term.

nwcove

Admiral

I'm waiting for one in the mail. But I found one at home depot that fits. Hoping to try it this weekend. The nominal size on the package is 1/8 x 1/2. This one is a flat bottom and actually measures slightly less than 1/2" long.
2 in the little bag for 55 cents.

i personnally would not even consider using a hardware store key for that ( or many other applications). if that key were to shear, you can be sure it will cause more damage than you are prepared for.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree + 1 on that......About as dumb as using a hardware store key for a flywheel.

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, well I got the correct one in the mail now. And I am not very happy with the sloppy job I did with the 847 sealer. That stuff is super snotty! So I'll go ahead and open it back up and replace the key. Then I will use a small brush to help apply the 847. I just know I got some inside :(

Any good tips on installing the "spaghetti seal"? I just don't think it fits very well... I carefully cut the ends (square of course) but the groove is larger than the spaghetti string.

AlTn

Commander

the last one I did I glued the spaghetti seal into the groove leaving each end a 1/4" long then set the skeg aside to dry. When ready to install I trimmed the ends down to length,applied more 847 to the upper part of the housing flange then a thin skin on the skeg flange. I read on 3M's product page that the 847 reactivates when fresh 847 is introduced. It seemed to make the process less "messy" and not as hurried. If you didn't before, apply some 847 to each skeg screw esp. around the base of the head. Do the same for the pivot screw
around the oring and base of the screw , don't apply any to the pivot shaft itself.

Acetone will clean up the 847.