Got a lot done saturday.<br /><br />This was saturday morning:<br />
hung1.JPG
<br /><br />This was late saturday afternoon:<br />
hung2.JPG
<br /><br />Thom

ob15

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Saturday Was A Good Day

Looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! I was hoping that you would have shown pics of Sunday with it floating on the water ready for a cruise. :)

recess

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice Job!!! Did you replace a stern drive unit on that boat? I am working on a 76 Grady White with exactly the same idea; bracket and outboard instead of the old OMC stringer drive. Could sure use some advice. I've read your posts and seem really in depth. Like you, I am willing and able to do much of my own work after some research. Would sure appreciate an email to rfshould@verizon.net on problems you encountered.<br />Thanks. Richard

recess

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice Job!!! Did you replace a stern drive unit on that boat? I am working on a 76 Grady White with exactly the same idea; bracket and outboard instead of the old OMC stringer drive. Could sure use some advice. I've read your posts and seem really in depth. Like you, I am willing and able to do much of my own work after some research. Would sure appreciate an email to rfshould@verizon.net on problems you encountered.<br />Thanks. Richard

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No, no sterndrive replacement here. This boat was always outboard powered, although the same hull was offered as a sterndrive unit as well. The replacement would be intensive but in a very real sense not difficult. If you were to remove the sterndrive you would be left with a big hole to fill. That, in itself, wouldn't be all that much of a problem if you have good access from the inside. The job would be very much like doing a transom replacement but just a section, not the whole thing. The thing about it is that you would certainly want a good strong bond to the existing transome and that would require a lot of overlap into the existing transom, probably at least half a foot I would think. I am pretty sure that all Grady's were built as if an outboard might be attached so I don't think transom strength would really be a problem. At any rate you'd have to do the glass work on the transom but after that it would be a pretty simple instillation. Of course you'd toss the engine box and have to take care of the floor too, but then it would allow you to build a very nice fish box into the transom, <br /><br />My bracket was made by Gil but there are a bunch of bracket makers out there. I see you are in Virginia Beach. As you probably already know there is a place down in Chesapeake or Suffolk, or whatever its called down there (I am in West Virginia so this isn't exactly my stomping grounds), on what I believe is called Military Highway, that sells used boat parts. If you could pick up a bracket for a couple of hundred bucks it would be a very sensible thing to do in my opnion. Your ballance will change by a bit but that shouldn't be a problem.<br /><br />If you are fishing off shore on that Grady, be it out of Rudy or down at Oregon Inlet or Hatteras I'm sure you'd be happier with an outboard than with that I/O. Aside from the cost of upkeep of an I/O in the salt there is the freeing up of cockpit space that you get with a bracketed outboard. Its priceless when the yellowfin are biting ... like right now.<br /><br />Here's what I mean:<br />
cockpit.jpg
<br /><br />Thom

recess

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh Thom, you're speaking my language. I do my fishing down at Oregon Inlet as being a school teacher affords me a little time off in the summer. I am familiar with the used boat place. Great for odds and ends. I've researched about filling the old I/O hole and that shouldn't be a problem. Plan to back it up with s/s plate on the inside. Your installation looks great. <br />Thanks for the reply.

ThomWV

Thank you. I had the bracket off of course so as long as it was just laying around I had it sand blasted and then I repainted it. I had one hell of a time finding 2" house to run all the cables through but finally found a place that would sell me a chunk of the stuff. My new graphics will be done friday. I had a set made to generally match the colors of the engine, which is to say a very deep gray, almost black, with that sort of machine turned gold leaf center for the lettering. I had them do the logo for Gil (the bracket makder) that way, the boat name (which has been shortened to simply say "Knocker") and the numbers all the same way. The numbers aren't in accordance with Coast Guard requirements (solid block lettering in a color contrasting with the hull, no less than 3" tall is the requirement) but I think as long as they are easily visable, which they certainly should be. With luck I will be in the water for the first time this year the weekend after next. I hope so anyway because I'm heading down to Oregon Inlet or maybe Hatteras the third week of May. There are tuna to be caught and I plan to be one of the hundreds of fools out there trying to catch a few of them. :D <br /><br />Thom

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Thom,<br /><br />My good weekend included a great steak and a couple of beers with friends. You had a great weekend. Fantastic job. Perhaps you'll have many good weekends eating freshly caught tuna steaks in your future.. ;)

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

Please post a pic of the graphics when they are done!! :)

recess

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll be in the inlet looking. I really want to see that boat restoration. I'll be in my yellow 1974 Grady White Stingray (close to the bridge obviously!)

ThomWV

I'll look for you at the bridge.<br /><br />Tell you all what, when I pick up the graphics and put them on I'll take pictures of the process, step-by-step. I know there are a lot of folks who haven't put them on and might be a bit concerned about how to do it. The process is really easy and if you have them made locally it doesn't cost much at all. I don't think there is a sign shop in the country that can't do it and its really amazing the sort of stuff they can turn out for you.<br /><br />Thom