1977 70hp evinrude starting issue

1kkfan

Seaman Apprentice
hello to all. Okay here is my problem. i aquired a control box and cables for my 77 70hp evinrude. I disconnected the old cables from the engine and proceeded to run the other cables when i noticed they were rather longer than the old cables. didnt think it would matter so i stuffed everything inside the side of the boat. i hooked up everything ( which i had to adjust the trunion nut) and now i cant get the motor to start. it will turn over and i have fuel in the cylinders and carbs. did i screw up with the installation of the cables. i also adjusted the fast idle screw.please help

Re: 1977 70hp evinrude starting issue

Try starting with throttle half way and choke it how much did u mess with screws you can always screw screws all the way in then out about aturn and a half then adjust from there the fast idle screw u dont want to unscrew maybe just one turn from tighting if u ever get but hold on ws u talking about throttle screw if so just try starting with half way throttle if that dont work try starter fluid. If it starts and quits with starter fluid then you know you may have the screws wrong

1kkfan

Seaman Apprentice

so i doesnt matter with the excess length of the cables? is there a procedure i have to follow when installing these cables.? oh i forgot. when i try to start it ;it will sound like it fires for two-three seconds and then dies

On the cables you will probly have to adjust at the box theres a screw that you can unloosen pull cable tight you may have to cut make sure in the middle make sure your motor in nuetral but your box may be different from mine but look at box and see you will have to readjust throttle too but sometimes better to do in water cause u dont want it to low when u put in gear it will die with pressure

I like to adjust my throttle as low as possible with out quiting in water that way when u go down a creek u wont shake everyones boats thatare docked but low idle can make the carbs gum up to if u run to long in low idle

1kkfan

Seaman Apprentice

i think i may have meddled with the screw too much so what are the steps so I can at least get this motor running again

The screw your talking about is cable throttle screw right?I dont know what your idle rpm speed should be,but you need to tighten screw untill it idles a little higher than it does now just play with it till it sounds right ,but you may have to adjust again.after that make sure your gear is in nuetral now go to your control box and take apart it has screws you may have to cut cables leave a little play like 6 inches when you tighten screws back with cables make sure your throttle ,and gear control are in the middle,and on motor that nothing has moved that way you will have both throttle and gear handle even in middle.Its always good to have some play in the cable so it may sag a little.make sure you tighten the cables where they wont slip,but im not a 100% sure so wait till you cut cables and if anyone else agrees .

1kkfan

Seaman Apprentice

I meddled with th eidle adjustment screw

If your talking about the screws on carb there should be fast idle screw and another,they will need to be screwed in then out about a turn and a half then you can adjust from there at idle and high rpms

1kkfan

Seaman Apprentice

the screw i messed with is not on the carb itself. i believe the correct name for this screw is the fast idle screw

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

"i cant get the motor to start. it will turn over and i have fuel in the cylinders and carbs."

getting spark? sounds like the kill switch to me.

1kkfan

Seaman Apprentice

I think i found the problem. I had a fuel leak at the hose entering the fuel pump. my primer bulb wasnt hardening. I ordered a new fuel pump cap and gasket. In the meantime i tighten the screw and kept priming the bulb. she fired right up until air started entering the system. Im happy

1kkfan

Seaman Apprentice

thank you. the culprit either was in the ignition switch or the neutral safety switch. I installed my old switch and vrrrrom. thank you