Is this worth the effort?

funboy30189

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys I am looking to buy a boat that has a 1969 Johnson 85 on it. He tells me runs, but who knows. How decent of a motor was/is that? Is this an engine that still has parts available? should I just tell him its not worth the effort ? Any info would be awesome. Thanks in advance

matt167

Captain
Re: Is this worth the effort?

That should be a V4 Lots of parts still available, lots of parts no longer available. Depends on what you need. If it's electric shift it may or may not be worth it as all those parts are NLA so that system HAS to work or it will take some Ebay searches and time to get what you need used.. They were good motors tho. Even the Electric shift was good, but 40 years later the parts availability becomes the issue

If it runs and is 500 or under i say buy cause if you get a year out of it your will get your money back and a good marine mecanic will sfind the parts you need the older ones dont have as much electric and stuff like new ones and you can buy one a week for 500 or les

funboy30189

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info guys. I have another dumb question. How can you tell if is electric shift or not?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Easy. Look on the starboard side of the motor. Does it have a shift lever? If it does, it is manual shift, not electric shift. If it is electric shift, make darn sure you get the remote control with it. The switch in that thing is worth nearly as much as the whole rest of the motor. I guess the same goes for the wiring harness.

Outside of fear and ignorance, there is nothing wrong with electric shift. Except parts cost and availablity.

The ignition system on those motors was the old battery CD system. State of the art at the time, but newer motors with Mag CD are a whole bunch simpler and better.