Gas Gauge?

C.O.L.

Seaman Apprentice
My boat has all working gauges except a gas gauge. The gas gauge is there, it just does not give an accurate reading. It reads just above E with a full tank of gas, and when you turn the boat and key off it reads around 1/2 tank. Since it is an on-board tank it would be nice to know when I am running low on fuel. What do you guys think could be wrong? The boat is a 1994 Lowe 1730 fish and ski.

Re: Gas Gauge?

Quite possibly the fuel level sender. They're sold on iboats and at various other marine parts stores and aren't terribly expensive. You could pull yours and move the float up and down while measuring the resistance, which should vary smoothly as you go from E to F.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Go to the electrical forum and use the search feature. This issue has been covered dozens of times and most threads contain troubleshooting and diagrams.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your thread was moved to the Electrical forum, if you look at the sticky (First thread in this forum) there is a section on troubleshooting the fuel gauge.

C.O.L.

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks a ton guys. I tested everything and it ended up being my gas gauge sending unit. Replaced it and everything works as it should now!