90hp johnson missing

wcharles

Recruit
I have a 1985 Venture boat with a 90hp Engine has a miss at idle speed and while running. Changed plugs and still the same problem. Checked the fire the old fashion way by pulling the plug wires while running. Getting plenty fire, trust me. Never owned a boat before as you can tell and dont know where to turn next. Any suggestions?

wcharles

Recruit
Re: 90hp johnson missing

Have you done a compression check?
Not yet. But if that's where you think I should start. No problem. Having so much rain right now but will try Thursday. Thanks for the reply.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

After your compression check, you may want to look at the carbs. Any restriction in the carb fuel passages can cause the engine to run on the lean side. Not unusual to have the engine sneeze every few rpm's with this condition-at dead idle. A fuel restriction can result from old fuel which has dried up over the years.

wcharles

Recruit

After your compression check, you may want to look at the carbs. Any restriction in the carb fuel passages can cause the engine to run on the lean side. Not unusual to have the engine sneeze every few rpm's with this condition-at dead idle. A fuel restriction can result from old fuel which has dried up over the years.

Will do the compression check this evening. Its a 85 model 90hp v4. Looked at the carbs last night but got too dark to go any further. I want to get a small gas can and eliminate that possibility. You are right at a dead idel it sure will. I really think that is where the problem is. I added 4 gallon of mixed gas last weekend and thats when the problem started. I believe the pressure from the pump stirred up the tank. I'm gonna drain the tank and flush the lines any way this weekend.
I purchased the boat in November of last year and just now added some new fuel. I'm sure it has the original tank.
Thanks for the advice.