Best way to cut plastic cutting board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
I'm trying to come up with the best way to add a couple small storage compartments under my front seat board, where space is really limited. Just something where I can shove a pair of binoculars & camera under the seat. My max. dimensions would be 5.25"H x 13.5" W x 9"D.

I'm thinking first of using plastic cutting board material, what's the best way to cut it? I'm thinking of fastening the pieces together with SS screws, & would hang them from the seat board.

Not sure this is the best way to go, any other ideas?

This is the best pic I've got of the area: wDSC_2896.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Best way to cut plastic cutting board?

Skill saw or jig saw will both cut it

Decker83

Commander

WOG cut some and I think he used his table saw..

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Does it cut pretty good or does it melt & gum things up? I guess that's what I'm wondering.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I'm guessing that the table saw would work very well. Mainly because of the kerf width it makes. However, scroll saws (Dewalt table top type) will cut it but could also fuse back together if the speed is not adjusted correctly. I've cut Lexan fine on the table saw but it would fuse itself back together using a table top scroll saw if the speed was too fast. So a lot of cutting tools can work if the kerf, tooth count and speed is dialed in...

stevecur

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I cut with both table saw and miter box. Pre drill and counter sink accurately for the screws or the plastic will bulge around them.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Does it cut pretty good or does it melt & gum things up? I guess that's what I'm wondering.

You'll get some plastic on your blade, and the coarser tooth blades will cut it better and you can dress it up with a sander later. Go slow and it won't melt too bad, if you try to go fast with a fine blade it'll gum up the world.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I used a 50 tooth blade on my table saw and it cut like a DREAM!!! Did not gum the blade in the least. Also used a 6 tpi bandsaw blade with NO issues.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

Most saws will cut it. A router finishes the edge nicely.

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

I also think that stuff cuts and finishes very well with circular saw and sanding drum on drill press. Has anybody found any type of glue that will bond the stuff?

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks for all the thoughts. lokonn, I think I've seen it mentioned in another thread what will bond it, but I don't remember off hand.

So I guess I'll go ahead and give it a shot with the table saw.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

The stuff cuts and mills really well with woodworking tools. It's fairly soft, and it doesn't tear out, so you get smooth cuts. If you run it through a blade too slowly, it does get more on the blade (melts just a bit), but you can run some wood through the blade after and it'll clean it right up.

Badfish95

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bringing up the cutting board material got me thinking about replacing bow filler pieces. Would 1/2" cutting board be strong enough and does it hold staples well?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

It holds wood screws quite well, but I'm not sure about staples. My staple gun doesn't have the oomph to drive into cutting board cleanly, and I don't know how well it holds.

chasmo

Seaman Apprentice

Have you tried brushing acetone to glue up? It works on a lot of plastics. Try a test piece. Gorilla glue may work also.

Status
Not open for further replies.