capndon

porsha

Recruit
How do I remove lower unit from 1988 V4 120hp evinrude I know where the bolts are but the shift rod release is my concern. Many have talked about a pin but I only see a bolt that is tucked near the rear of carbs on port side. Is this where the release point is. put into reverse and use extension bar and remove this bolt please help:grumpy:

rrw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: capndon

I think once you remove the bolts you should be able to drop lower unit an inch or so, the shift rod pin should be in that gap.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: capndon

The shift clevis is beneath the bottom carburetor on the end of the shift lever. DO NOT remove the 7/16" hex bolt that attached the clevis to the lever rod.

There is a 3/8" hex bolt that screws into the side of that clevis on the port side of the clevis, recognizable by the screwdriver slot in its head. That is a shoulder bolt type screw and goes thru the clevis and thru the top hole in the shift rod which sits in a slot in the clevis.

Remove that shoulder screw fro the clevis. It's accessible easily with a 1/4" ratchet drive extension, using a 3/8" universal socket to loosen. Removal and insertion is done with a mechanics finger grab tool, available at any auto parts or tool type store.