Electronic brake control

Dam2009

Seaman
I`m thinking about purchasing an electronic brake control system for my two axle 1500lbs trailer. Which one would you recommend

agallant80

Commander
Re: Electronic brake control

I would be interested in seeing what advice you get with this. My only concern would be electronics and salt water.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

Are you talking electric over hydraulic or pure electric?

Not withstanding the salt water issue I converted our trailer to all electric a couple years back. Added brakes to the second axle and wired it all up. I like having the electric except when I am towing the empty trailer. I have to remember to lock it out.

I am running a prodigy P3 and like it. Wired up our old suburban with the same wiring so either can not only pull the boat, but also stop the boat.

Thalasso

Commander

I would be interested in seeing what advice you get with this. My only concern would be electronics and salt water.

I think he is referring to the in cab controller(Prodigy)

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Prodigy and like it. It's the only one I've ever had so I can't really compare it to any other ones but it is very easy to set up and use. Stops nice and smooth. Picked it up for next to nothing brand new on ebay a few years ago.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Prodigy P3 here, too. Nice piece of equipment...

bezerk1

Seaman Apprentice

I have a Hopkins Agility on my truck. I love this controller. Most of the time you don't know that the trailer is even behind you. I like the fact that it has a digital display telling you what percentage of the brakes are applied. I use it when I am pulling my race car on the trailer. I imagine that the loaded trailer goes about 4500 lbs. Stops are smooth and controlled with no jerking. The Hopkins replaced a Teconsha from the early 80's.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

There's no electronics in electric brakes. If the controller gets submerged in salt water, corrosion is probably the least of your worries...

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class

The last one I used was activator 2. Think when get my new one will be prodigy 3 or a intella-stop.

Splat

Lieutenant

I uses prodigy myself works awesome.