In cabin work question

MPB63

Recruit
The previous owner of my Rinker 266 replaced the radio in the cabin. With this he managed to remove the partition behind the microwave that leads to the inside of the boat fiberglass. I want to seal up the partition. Anyone have any useful ideas how to do this or what to use?

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: In cabin work question

Can you get a picture of the area? Might aid the creative minds here.

MPB63

Recruit

Not until Saturday. The hole is about 1.5 ft wide and a foot tall with various wires running through it. It's not a straight line either because it follows the curve of the fiberglass.

Knot Waiting

Is it something that could just be covered with a small piece of Starboard or 1/4" polypropylene plastic? Both are available in white

MPB63

Recruit

I would have to trim it to fit. Maybe some type of styrofoam. Just wondering about flammability. Thanks.

Knot Waiting

If you're looking for an OEM replacement you could try contacting Rinker to see if it's still produced or if they have any old stock on hand. Otherwise there are dozens of marine salvage yards on the web you could try calling. I'd imagine it's easier to just make something yourself though. Marine plywood, hardwood, teak, Star Board, or extruded plastic board are all fine materials to use. I would not use styrofoam though, especially around wires, low heat resistance, flammable and not structural.